Kemper's Reviews > Babylon's Ashes

Babylon's Ashes by James S.A. Corey

bookshelves: 2016, expanse, sci-fi, space

“My life has become a single on-going revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.”

This is the kind of cheery thought one is apt to have when facing a narcissistic megalomaniac who has gained power by convincing some people that all their problems can be blamed on other groups while setting humanity on a self-destructive path it may not be able to recover from.

Geez, I thought I read science-fiction to escape reality.

The Expanse series took an epic dark turn in the last one, and this book is mainly about dealing with the fall-out from that as well as trying to resolve the new threat that arose. The short term stakes involve a fight to control the outposts outside of Earth and Mars, but the longer view will determine nothing less than the fate of humanity itself.

Like the other books this has a self-contained story that features all kinds of political intrigue and strategy as well as a healthy dose of interesting characters riding around in spaceships being all Pew-Pew!. Which is what The Expanse does really well as a general rule. The new wrinkle here is that because this is the aftermath of catastrophic events that there’s a tone of shock and even a certain wistfulness in this one. Things will never be what they once where and everyone knows it. This makes the conflict here literally a fight for the future, and all the characters are under enormous amounts of pressure because of it.

There was one element I wasn’t entirely happy about. (view spoiler) On the other hand there’s still story to be told so I’m trying to set aside any feelings of mild disappointment I have about the ending here because it’s likely that there is more pay-off coming.

As always after finishing one of these I’m left wanting more and am already counting the days until the next book releases. It helps that we’ve got the second season of the TV show coming to fill the gap between books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babylon's Ashes.

March 3, 2016 – Shelved
December 9, 2016 – Started Reading
December 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim

Melissa I am dying to read your spoiler, but I've convinced myself that I need to read all of the other books before I get to this one. It's going to be at least the end of January before I can click on the tag.

Kemper Melissa wrote: "I am dying to read your spoiler, but I've convinced myself that I need to read all of the other books before I get to this one. It's going to be at least the end of January before I can click on th..."

Yeah, you should avoid anything and everything that might spoil it. Especially what happens in book #5.

Melissa Kemper wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I am dying to read your spoiler, but I've convinced myself that I need to read all of the other books before I get to this one. It's going to be at least the end of January before I..."

Oh, I've read them all, should've said re-read instead, but I finished book #5 in June so even though I remember the main things that happened, I'm a little fuzzy on the fine details.

Kemper Melissa wrote: "Kemper wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I am dying to read your spoiler, but I've convinced myself that I need to read all of the other books before I get to this one. It's going to be at least the end of J..."

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'd still stay away from my spoiler because I do talk about a major event at the end of this one.

Melissa Kemper wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Kemper wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I am dying to read your spoiler, but I've convinced myself that I need to read all of the other books before I get to this one. It's going to be at le..."

I'll be back to let you know whether you missed the point or not! Just joking.

Kemper Melissa wrote: "I'll be back to let you know whether you missed the point or not! Just joking. ..."

Hey! And I thought we were friends....

Melissa Kemper wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'll be back to let you know whether you missed the point or not! Just joking. ..."

Hey! And I thought we were friends...."

Trust me, even if we weren't friends I wouldn't dare.

Melissa Good news! It's taken me this long to re-read the series & finally read this book, and I am pleased to announce that your spoiler is correct & you did not miss the point.

Kemper Melissa wrote: "Good news! It's taken me this long to re-read the series & finally read this book, and I am pleased to announce that your spoiler is correct & you did not miss the point."

*whew* That's a relief!