Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts's Reviews > Red Queen

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

bookshelves: 4-star

“I hate First Friday.”

With four simple yet heavy words, this is where the story begins. Red Queen is a promising start to Aveyard’s Red Queen series, with plenty of colourful characters and exciting plot turns. But does it stack up to the stiff competition set by its YA predecessors like The Hunger Games and Graceling?

---May contain spoilers---

Noting that I finished this book in less than a day, I have to say I most definitely enjoyed reading this novel. I chose Red Queen on a whim, seeing that Chapters had a sale happening for hardcover novels. With a bloody covered crown on the cover, I had a hunch this novel was bound to be full of fantasy elements with rebellion and war tied into the mixture. Apparently, my thoughts were accurate.

Let’s talk about the writing…

Aveyard has this way of grabbing your attention right at the first chapter, making her novel quite the page-turner. The language is both simple and not overly descriptive. This is what makes it such as quick and easy read! If you want a novel that is descriptive enough to set the image but doesn’t prolong this part of the reading experience (I.e. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy), the Red Queen series is a great book to add to your To Be Read list.

The characters are well rounded, developing in both positive and negative aspects during the course of the novel. Some grow more confident and courageous, taking on leadership or lone-wolf roles. Others take a completely different turn, their personalities changing to the point the character appears to be a whole new being. Aveyard added an amazing element to both major and minor characters – they all have flaws, creating minor to catastrophic consequences from their actions. It was such a wonderful relief to see characters who AREN’T perfect! Honestly, it becomes rather exhausting seeing so many self-righteous good doers in books who know exactly what to do at the perfect moment.

One unfortunate side note: I found the characters mirrored other literary characters from other largely known novels…big names we already know and love (or hate). For instance, Mare Barrow is basically a shadow of Katniss Everdeen from Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games trilogy. This is bound to happen in the world of literature though, so I don’t fret over this too much. For those who do mind, you have be warned.

Now, the story…If you are one of those readers who wants a book where you are constantly guessing at how the story will unfold and second guessing every future decision that will be made in the course of the story…this might not be your cup of tea. There are some surprises I wasn’t expecting. Yet, the story is rather conventional in the world of young adult fantasy novels and dystopian literature. I was able to guess more than half of the decisions made and their outcomes, which is saying a lot since I’m a rather oblivious individual. The story is still wonderful and does bring something a little new to the table, just know it will most likely mimic something you have already read if you read a lot of fantasy or dystopian young adult literature.

If you are a fan of strong female heroines, rebellion, love triangles, simple language use, well rounded characters, and a story that only has a few surprises along the way, Red Queen may be the next read for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Queen.

March 3, 2016 – Shelved
March 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2017 – Started Reading
January 11, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Helen Power I finally got that book out of the library! What category in the reading challenge did you use it for? I need an excuse to read it!

message 2: by Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (last edited Jan 11, 2017 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts I used it for the first book in a series I haven't read yet. However, it also fits under interesting female characters, a book recommended by a librarian (since I am recommending it ha-ha), and a book with an eccentric character (not the main).

The second book involves travel and has an interesting female character in it. The third is being released/published this year. The first two technically do take place during a time of war but it isn't the main focus. I didn't care though and used that for the second book, Glass Sword.

Helen Power Ooh nice! I can't wait to read it! :)