Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound's Reviews > Imperfect Harmony

Imperfect Harmony by Jay Northcote

bookshelves: 2016-reads, arc-queer-books-unbound, ebook, favorites, signed-books

Reviewed for From Top to Bottom Reviews.

**A COPY OF THIS BOOK WAS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR IN RETURN OF AN HONEST REVIEW**

I love each and every book by Jay Northcote and have read them all. She’s just “my kind of author” and I can trust that I won’t be disappointed by the story.
I hope the day never arrives that I don’t like a book by her.
So far that hasn’t happened and Imperfect Harmony was another fantastic story. It’s my favourite even.

I loved this book! It’s been two years since John lost his partner, David, in a car accident. Since then he has completely withdrawn from the world. He stopped playing the violin and singing and basically stopped living. He’s just existing until one day Maggie, one of his only friends left, persuades John to stay at a choir practice where he meets young and seemingly vibrant Rhys.

I loved the way Jay wrote the developing relationship. There’s an attraction there right from the start, but because both guys are still grieving, they take it slow. They become friends first and get to know each other. I loved how you could see both of them slowly falling in love and opening up again to a new love. It felt so real and I really liked how John and Rhys didn’t leave David out. He was, after all, part of Johns past and therefore couldn’t be kept a secret.

I loved the openess between Rhys and John. The perfect example for that is the first time they become intimate. It doesn’t go the way they expect, but instead of closing off they talk about it. I really, really liked that. Jay could have made it into something more dramatic than it was, but instead she handled this scene so realistically and lifelike.

Imperfect Harmony is a bit different to what Jay Northcote usually writes. It deals with heavier themes and isn’t as “light” as her other books (except for Passing Through maybe). And yet this story never becomes too much. There’s still a lightness to it and always the feeling of hope that everything will be alright. It’s still a Jay Northcote original that has this unique britishness and sweetness to it without being overly dramatic or sappy at all.

For those of you, who follow her on twitter or are a member of her FB group, you’ll know that Jay Northcote leads a choir. Music is a really important part of this story and the reader can clearly feel the passion the author has for music herself.

Highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Harmony.

March 3, 2016 – Shelved
March 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 23, 2016 – Started Reading
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reads
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-queer-books-unbound
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: ebook
March 23, 2016 –
41.0% "<33 Beautiful! So much in love with John and Rhys. This book is giving me all the fuzzy feelings. But you'll need tissues too!"
March 23, 2016 –
78.0% "Damn work making me stop reading! ;)"
March 24, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 11, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
September 16, 2016 – Shelved as: signed-books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Avery (new) - added it

Avery Cockburn Oooh, this looks amazing. I love musicians, especially ones in pain. (Fictional pain, of course, lol!)

Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound Avery wrote: "Oooh, this looks amazing. I love musicians, especially ones in pain. (Fictional pain, of course, lol!)"

Then you'll absolutely love this one. It's all about the music and about the pain how to move on after the loss of someone you love, although in true Northcote-fashion it's not too much. Like idk how she does it, but the story overall is just beautiful with a few scenes that make you hurt but yet there's always this feeling of hope. Other books about this theme did drag me down a bit, but this one feels lighter?! This probably doesn't make any sense.

message 3: by Avery (new) - added it

Avery Cockburn Annie wrote: "Avery wrote: "Oooh, this looks amazing. I love musicians, especially ones in pain. (Fictional pain, of course, lol!)"

Actually, that makes a lot of sense! And I agree. :)

Truuss Lovely review Annie !!

Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound Truus wrote: "Lovely review Annie !!"

Thank you. <3