Juliet's Reviews > American Short Story Masterpieces

American Short Story Masterpieces by Raymond Carver

bookshelves: short-stories, the-good-stuff

Actually, I'm not sure I'll ever be finished reading this -- in a good way. I pick this up when I'm between novels, open randomly and flip until I find a story I haven't read yet and read that. Some of the stories are good and some are phenomenal. The phenomenal ones I've read several times, and I expect I'll read them several times more. Tip top favorites include:

"Sonny's Blues" - James Baldwin - guy picks up his brother from jail after being arrested for heroin
"Walking Out" - David Quammen - kid goes on hunting trip w/ father, accidentally shoots father
"The Magic Barrel" - Bernard Malamud - rabbi-to-be hires a matchmaker to find him a wife
"Redemption" - John Gardner - kid accidentally kills his brother & family tries to get past it

Also in here is "The Misfits" by Arthur Miller. I absolutely love that movie (Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift). I didn't know it had been a short story first. It's pretty cool to compare the two, see how they decided to expand it for the movie.

This is a never-ending resource of good stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Short Story Masterpieces.

March 2, 2016 – Started Reading