R.J.'s Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

(Review from the author)

I've written a lot of stories, but ULTRAVIOLET is one of the very closest to my heart. It was also one of the hardest and most demanding things I've ever written, but thanks to the help of numerous smart critique partners, a tirelessly supportive agent and two wonderful editors, I can look at it now and say, "Yes. There it is. THAT is what I meant." I love this book very much, and I hope you will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

January 1, 2007 – Started Reading
March 18, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 25, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Jennifer I am almost finished reading the galley and I plan on reviwing it on my blog tonight!! I have loved reading Alison's story and I'm hoping there will be more :-)

Meera Nair Great book!!! Loved it. I've reviewed it already on my blog and in goodreads.

message 3: by R.J. (last edited Apr 28, 2011 01:37PM) (new) - added it

R.J. Jennifer wrote: "I am almost finished reading the galley and I plan on reviwing it on my blog tonight!! I have loved reading Alison's story and I'm hoping there will be more :-)"

Thanks, Jennifer! I appreciate your review and am glad you loved ULTRAVIOLET! And yes, I'm happy to say that there will be a companion novel -- it's already sold to my UK publisher and I'm looking forward to working on it when I'm finished my current manuscript.

message 4: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Mia wrote: "Great book!!! Loved it. I've reviewed it already on my blog and in goodreads."

Thank you, Mia! I appreciate it!

Sandy Your writing in Ultraviolet is GORGEOUS. I have no idea how you imagined so many ways to describe the mundane things we see and hear every day, but the imagery is stunning.

I'm so excited to hear there's a companion novel!

message 6: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Thanks, Sara and Sandy -- I'm happy you think so!

Rose Rebecca, it turned out FABULOUS. I really like your faerie books (and my daughters and niece keep stealing them, actually)--but I especially connected with Ultraviolet. It's one of my favorites I've read all year. :)

Ceren Hi R.J Anderson, just wondering if your book will be available in Australia? Thanks!

message 9: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Ceren -- it's available in Australia now!

Celia Jones I went to the library to pick up another one of your books and saw this one next to it and changed my mind. I don't know why. As I'm reading it I'm thinking yes yes that's true mhm. And I get midway and I just have to pause it's so personal, for me I just thought I was weird, for her she's been feeling caged in so many ways, and for you so much goes into making this, it's as if a portion of your heart has been dissected and displayed for any who choose to look. Thank you.

message 11: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Celia, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and heartfelt comment, and for reading ULTRAVIOLET!

Sarah Hello. I love your book so much! The way you portrayed Alison and her synaesthesia was so realistic and engaging. I also loved the descriptions of the ward, it really brought it to life and felt very realistic as I have visited a few in my lifetime. Thank you so much for writing this it has brought me such a huge amount of enjoyment!

message 13: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Thank you, Sarah! I'm pleased and honoured to hear you felt I captured both the synesthesia and the psychiatric hospital setting well. Thanks for reading ULTRAVIOLET!

Samantha I initially went to the library looking for a book by Lori halse anderson, but ultraviolet was right next to it and the shiny cover caught my eye. The description wowed me. I sat there and read chapter one and just had to check it out. I can honestly say this was one of the most exciting reads I've seen yet. It's so unique but still relatable on such an extraordinary level. I devoured this book, and im looking forward to reading more of yours.

message 15: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Wow! Thanks, Samantha!