Missy Olive's Reviews > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I am pretty certain that I could not gush any more about this book than I already have; but I am going to try.

Sadly, it has been on my "to read" list for way too long. When I finally moved it to the top of my priorities, I was so moved by the writing that I instantly decided to read it aloud to my Bonus Girls. Do you want to know how good the book is? At the end of each chapter, the girls scream, "READ MORE!"

Needless to say, I finished the book quickly. The ending is not as pretty as the story--folks, it ain't Disney. I started crying. I looked at the girls' father and I said, "I can't read this to them!" So, I tweeted @John_Boyne and asked if ages 8 and 10 were too young to read the story. He replied ( yes, he replied!) and said they are the perfect age. So, we continued reading.

The process has become an excellent history lesson. The book alludes to many events, that without background knowledge, the reader would likely miss. So, each night, we review some of the awful things that happened to the Jewish Population and then we read more from the book.

We haven't gotten to the part in History where we have to teach the girls that innocent people were killed. I'm going to save that for a few more nights so they can continue to enjoy Bruno's innocent childhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

March 25, 2011 – Shelved