Janani's Reviews > The Turner House

The Turner House by Angela Flournoy

Solid debut.

Following the death of Francis Turner, his wife Viola moves out of their house on Yarrow Street, where they'd lived for over fifty years, and the thirteen Turner children come together to decide what to do with the house.

Jumping back and forth between present day and the Turners initial move to Detroit, Flournoy gives us perspectives from several of the Turners on their personal issues as well as on the house and their memories and connection to it. Cleverly woven in is a commentary on poverty, race, and class as pertaining to Detroit's history, landscape, and housing crises. I was impressed by a lot of the character development, especially considering this is Flournoy's debut. I also didn't mind that there were still some loose ends at the end of the book, I thought it went well with the general sense of how things can't always be tied up in neat packages, as is life, and this suited the tone of the book. A well-crafted, well-paced, multigenerational story, and I will certainly be on the lookout for more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turner House.

March 1, 2016 – Shelved