Christine Jensen's Reviews > First Light

First Light by Michele Paige Holmes

Mar 01, 2016

bookshelves: 5-star-reads, ebooks

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was originally intrigued by the cover and the small snippet, but I was a bit unsure what to expect. The fractured fairy tale concept really works in this story. I noticed elements of Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and the three wishes concept. I am sure I missed many others(I am going to have to go back and read it again to see what else pops out!).

Adrielle is the youngest of many children and lives with her aging parents. They live on the edge of starvation and Adrielle's main concern is how she can continue to help plant and harvest what little she can in the drought stricken land. Little does she know what it ahead of her. What ensues is an adventure of fairy tale proportions. She will discover powers she didn't realize she had, both magical and non. Her world will be flipped upside down and backwards, but she somehow seems to land on her feet.

For those who are worried that I have not yet mentioned a romance, worry not there is plenty of that to be had in this fairy tale. (Really, what is a fairy tale without romance?)

*I received a free ecopy of this book in order to share my honest opinion
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Light.

Started Reading