Beth's Reviews > The Violets of March

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio

Mar 25, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2012, just-for-fun-challenge-2012
Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

I am so glad this was my first read of the New Year! I loved this book! I saw it on so many best reads of the year lists. I pulled my copy out and dug right in. I sat down with the book and read straight through the first half. If I had been home alone, I would have read the whole book in one sitting. Yes, it is that good!

I loved the setting of Bainbridge Island. I have never been there but have always longed to go. The descriptions of the island put me on the island, as if I were physically there. I could feel the sand between my toes! Sarah's descriptions are simply wonderful!

Emily has been dumped by her husband for another woman. She goes to visit her great-aunt Bee on Bainbridge Island. In the room she is staying in, Emily finds a diary from the 1940's. Emily, being an author, is interested and starts to read the diary and before long is mesmerized by what she reads. The big mystery is, who are the characters in the diary and what happened to them. I love a good story that revolves around a diary or letters from the past. I was instantly taken with the diary, much like Sarah. I was dying to know what happened back in the 40's and how did it relate to Sarah and her family. Esther, the diary's author, is as broken as Emily. We have the Esther's diary storyline and the story line of Emily and her future. I love how the two story lines compliment each other nicely. The flow of the two stories was easy to follow along with. It was really well done! I found myself anxious to learn how each story would end. However, I was sad to see the story end as I was really enjoying reading it.

I am amazed that this is a debut book! I would have never guessed that! It is a wonderful read and I am looking forward to reading The Bungalow by Sarah Jio. This book will make my favorite reads list as well. I highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Violets of March.

Brandie Wow...you're making me second guess why I gave up on this book. I tried it last year and couldn't get in to it. Maybe I should try again.

Beth Brandie wrote: "Wow...you're making me second guess why I gave up on this book. I tried it last year and couldn't get in to it. Maybe I should try again."

This is my kind of story, Brandie! It was just a nice, easy to read story for me. I just felt good after I read it.

Brandie I may have to try it again :) I've done that with books before and the second time was better.