Sultry Steamy Reading's Reviews > Dark Lover

Hero: Wrath
Heroine: Elizabeth Randall
Trope/Theme: Vampires
Safety Level: Safe
Cliffhanger: No for the romance. Yes for the general series arc
Ending: HFN

I'm not the biggest fan of the PNR genre. I have a few favorites, yes, but I'm not too crazy about it. I really prefer my contemporary romances, no matter how dark or erotic they get. However, there are just some books that deserve to be read and re-read as often as you can. And this book is just one of those. Dark Lover is where everything started for the BDB. It is because of Wrath and his brothers and they world they live in that readers fell in love with the series.

I really have to commend J.R. Ward. Her world-building is just amazing. She created a world that's euqal parts real and fantasy, relatable and make believe. Plus, her characters and terminologies are also amazing. It's very entertaining to follow all these vampires, their traits, their nemesis, and their lifestyle. It may be a bit overwhelming at some point trying to remember every terminology, but there's a glossary of terms included at the beginning, which really helps a lot.

As for the main characters in this book, let me just say that I love them both. Beth was a wonderful heroine. She was innocent and tough at the same time. She balanced out Wrath's intensity with her gentleness. Wrath. Oh, Wrath. There's just nothing I can say but good things. Who wouldn't love a vampire king, right? But a king who's a warrior at heart, a brave warrior whose power surpassed everybody else despite the fact that he was blind? Well, it's impossible not to love him. And the way he was with Beth, man, it was just intense, deep, and swoon-worthy.

Aside from Wrath and Beth, any reader won't be able to help but fall in love with the rest of the brothers. I even love Marissa and Butch and Fritz. I don't know how many times I've come back to this book. I have to be honest and say I couldn't quite connect to the later books, but this very first installment was just perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

Finished Reading