Martin Belcher's Reviews > Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilisation

Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock

bookshelves: read-in-2016

I can remember reading Hancock's first book Fingerprints of the Gods quite a few years ago now and feeling like my mind had been opened to a new world history that is repeatedly denied us by successive governments and the 'powers that be'. Magicians of the Gods revisits some of Hancock's earlier research and revises it with up to date scientific thinking drawing to a startling conclusion.
First of all, it's important to point out this book is not one of those crackpot alien books that pretends to tell you that we are descended from aliens - forget that silliness, Magicians of the Gods takes you on a historic tour of important sites of antiquity in Turkey, the Middle East, Indonesia, Egypt and South America, using science to explain the strange links and similar glyphs and stonework that appear in all sites around the world and point to an intelligent civilisation that flourished thousands of years ago, a point of fact which throws our current historic timeline of man completely out of sync. If this is true, we have all been mislead and forgotten our planets past.
The book then delves into the period approximately 12,000 years ago when our Earth suffered major comet/ asteroid bombardments - the Younger Dryas when according to Hancock's research previous advanced civilisations were destroyed in a global apocalypse that threw the planet into an ice age.
What is more frightening is the messages in pictograms left in all the sites of antiquity which lead to a message for the future, a message which tells us that the Younger Dryas comet stream will cross Earth's orbit again in the future, latest scientific research shows this to be the Taurid meteor stream and that in approximately 2030 Earth is due to cross the part of the Taurid stream which contains extremely large fragments of comet including comet Encke. We could be looking at global extinction if any one of these large comet fragments hits the Earth. NASA and world governments refuse to accept this hypothesis while the scientific community know it to be true.
A frightening and mind opening book of startling facts and history, while its not everyone's cup of tea and I'm not saying that Hancock is completely right, the research and scientific fact in this book is clearly true and shocking, are we simply underplaying the fact that our civilisation could be destroyed by a comet in the very near future? Read this and make up your own mind. Highly compelling and a recommended read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magicians of the Gods.

March 1, 2016 – Shelved