Maxine (Booklover Catlady)'s Reviews > The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

Wow! This is one of my favourite reads of 2016 and is long-listed for my Top Ten Books of 2016. This totally took my breath away and from start to finish I was totally lost in this book and the desire to know the truth. I HAD to know the truth. I guessed the ending so many times, should not have bothered, it was brilliant and had so many twists I was feeling motion sickness!

Honestly, check out the blurb:

You never know what's happening on the other side of the wall.

Your neighbour told you that she didn't want your six-month-old daughter at the dinner party. Nothing personal, she just couldn't stand her crying.

Your husband said it would be fine. After all, you only live next door. You'll have the baby monitor and you'll take it in turns to go back every half hour.

Your daughter was sleeping when you checked on her last. But now, as you race up the stairs in your deathly quiet house, your worst fears are realized. She's gone.

You've never had to call the police before. But now they're in your home, and who knows what they'll find there.

What would you be capable of, when pushed past your limit?

You pop next door to a party, then after checking numerous times your baby is gone. The baby YOU left alone. Imagine the scope of emotions that you go through? OMG, I could NOT imagine as a parent myself. I would be sick, terrified, confused, delirious...and they are. This is a stunning novel that has so much tension running through it.

The plot is fantastic, nothing at all is clear-cut in this book and seriously the number of twists and reveals were bloody brilliant. It was like being slapped over and over again! I could go on and on about this book but all I can say is I loved it, I loved the journey, it had me on edge the whole time and I highly recommend to anyone looking for a read that hooks you and holds you. 5 stars!

Many thanks to the publisher for my copy of this book via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Couple Next Door.

March 1, 2016 – Shelved
March 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 8, 2016 – Shelved as: net-galley-reviewed
May 8, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reading-challenge
May 8, 2016 –
May 9, 2016 –
16.0% "Going ok this far in..."
May 9, 2016 –
100.0% "Heck that was a lot of twists. Full review to come."
May 19, 2016 – Started Reading
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: family-dramas
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: maxine-favourites
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: longlist-top-reads-2016
May 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Shawna P. AHH I want to read this sooooo bad. I can not wait until July. Can't wait to read your review!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Finished it! Hope to do my review tomorrow.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Wow Maxine. I want to read this. Is it on NetGalley. I will check.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Sue wrote: "Wow Maxine. I want to read this. Is it on NetGalley. I will check."

It was Sue, hopefully still is. Really great read.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Maxine wrote: "Sue wrote: "Wow Maxine. I want to read this. Is it on NetGalley. I will check."

It was Sue, hopefully still is. Really great read."

Just requested it, but listed for the states only.

Shawna P. Still crossing my fingers and toes hoping to get approved for the US NetGalley version!!!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Good luck ladies!

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Maxine wrote: "Good luck ladies!"

Thanks Maxine.

Deanna I was denied the UK version but now that the US version is up I'm hoping that one will be approved. This looks soo good and now your review makes me want it even more!!
Good luck to guys too!! Great review, Maxine :)

message 10: by FoodxHugs (new) - added it

FoodxHugs This is on my list. Wow, you've made me excited, and more than a little intrigued to get the book now!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Montulli great review, I am adding!

message 12: by abby (new) - rated it 2 stars

abby Great review! I can't wait to read this.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Thank you. Happy reading!

message 14: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Can't wait to read it going to order it from amazon.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Linda, I hope you enjoy it too :-)

Malia Great review! Definitely looking forward to this one!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Like her others, a slow build up that gets more and more interesting.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Ignore that ^^^ - I thought you were commenting on another book. It's 3am doh!

Juanita Layne I felt the same way reading this book, Maxine. OMG!! So good, I could not put it down. Best book this year...and I've read a lot.

Linda Wells Great review!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Linda wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks Linda, it's a great read, don't miss that one on your list!

David Staniforth Agree totally about the twists. A great journey.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Totally David!

Priya just finished reading it....loved every bit of it....

Geena Barret This really was SUCH a good read! Especially amidst the several thrillers I've read that started off promising and ended disappointing. Love this book!

message 26: by Billy (new)

Billy McLaughlin Looks good. I might add this to my relentless TBR

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Well worth bumping up your list Billy.

Stuart James Top review Maxine

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Thanks so much!

message 30: by Laura (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura I neeeeed to read this book even more after reading your review!

message 31: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue This was one of my favorite books too, Maxine!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) So good Sue.

message 33: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Maxine wrote: "So good Sue."

I loved it!