Helia's Reviews > Radio Silence

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman

Mar 01, 2016

bookshelves: contemporary, diverse-reads, age-young-adult

You can read this review on Astronomical Books.

Ignore the blurb - it does not give you a fraction of the insight to what this book truly is - incredible.

Frances can see nothing beyond getting into university. Since she was a child, it has seemed to be the only option for her. She befriends Aled, the brother of her best friend who disappeared and the creator of her favourite radio show. Through their friendship, the art they produce goes viral. But Frances learns that there is so much more to Aled than meets the eye, and that his radio show may not be as far from reality as one would think.

My expectations for the story were relatively low. From my understanding of the blurb, this was another story where a girl meets a boy that unlocks her true self. But Oseman subverts this, which I first became aware of when Frances openly states to the reader that the relationship between her and Aled is not a love story.

The introduction did not reel me in at all. In fact, if it weren't for the easy reading, I might've given up. The language simply failed to suck me in, and it felt rather like a cross between Fangirl and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda which although I read and enjoyed, was not enthused to read again.

But as the story began to take shape and go down a different path, I became more and more engaged. I could relate to the characters on a personal level. They were emotional about fiction, but were also going through things I could identify with like university applications and the typical high school drama and stress. Oseman was excellent at really showing teenagers as much more than simply anger and the internet, and provided her characters with the self-awareness that made them feel incredibly real.

Radio Silence is a story about a cry for help being heard. It is about friendship, despite all of its complications. But most of all, it is about how even when life feels so utterly hopeless and everything feels like a dead end, there is still a path you can choose.

(Potential trigger warnings within the book: child abuse, mentions of suicide)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radio Silence.

Quotes Helia Liked

Alice Oseman
“And I’m platonically in love with you.”
“That was literally the boy-girl version of ‘no homo’, but I appreciate the sentiment.”
Alice Oseman, Radio Silence

Alice Oseman
“This is real, this is me,' I said.
She blinked. 'Did you just quote Camp Rock at me? That's not very pop punk."
'I've gotta go my own way.'
'Okay, firstly, that's High School Musical...”
Alice Oseman, Radio Silence

March 1, 2016 – Shelved
March 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 19, 2016 – Started Reading
March 20, 2016 –
35.0% "I've kinda felt indifferent to this book so far? It reminds me of Fangirl because of its relatability and topic of fandom life but the language has failed to suck me in."
March 20, 2016 –
60.0% "The story and the characters have started to grow on me."
March 20, 2016 –
71.0% "Woah. Just... Woah. Everything is so complex and yet it feels very real."
March 20, 2016 –
93.0% "Oh shit well I'm crying"
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary