Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > Ranchero

Ranchero by Rick Gavin
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1053760
's review
Feb 29, 2016

really liked it
bookshelves: hick-grit-lit, funny-shit, liburry-book, read-2016

Nick Reid is a repo-man that has to go and pick up a big screen plasma TV from Percy Dubois. Percy hasn't seen fit to keep up on the payments and Nick's boss has recently suffered a loss of his price taxidermied bobcat in a robbery and he is just ticked off and wants his money. Nick was given the use of his neighbor lady's dead husband's 1969 Ranchero. Nick gets more than he bargains for though because Percy knocks him upside the head with a shovel and takes off with the Ranchero.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Nick's loyalty can't allow Ms. Pearl to not get back the Ranchero, so he enlists the help of his bestie, a fellow repo man Desmond. Desmond is a 350 pound black man who takes care of his Momma and her oxy addiction and now thanks to an ex-wife..drives a Geo Metro. After making sure that Desmond's Sonic Coney dog addiction needs are met they are off in search of the car.
Palm Springs commercial photography

It's pretty hard to look all cool and stuff in a Geo Metro but these two somehow manage it. Along the way they pick up several "helpers" including Percy's nephew Luther who gets to indulge in Nick's neighbor lady's habit of 'insisting' and gets decked out in some new threads including some leisure jackets.

Once they find Percy they find out the car is now in the hands of a transplanted New Orleans meth dealer. He has taken off with the car and Percy's wife and child. They aren't a hundred percent sure if she went against her will or if it's her idea. One thing they do know is that she is mean enough to cut out his liver when he isn't looking.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Give me some rednecks and idiots and I'm pretty much going to love a book. This one fits that bill and then some. It reminds me of Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series but I actually think I thought this one was just a tad better than the two of those that I've read.

Palm Springs commercial photography

Palm Springs commercial photography
I was browsing books on GR one day and I saw this on Trudi's shelf and knew it was calling to me.
90 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ranchero.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Twerking (new) - added it

Twerking To Beethoven Got to get my dirty hands on this shpoo.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Twerking wrote: "Got to get my dirty hands on this shpoo."

I could see you loving it. It's funny as all get out.


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ How the heck was this already on my tbr is the question? You and Trudi are my only friends to have read this, and I've never read her review. Don't tell me I added a gr recommendation. My mind is a haze...this much be what old lady brain feels like. ;)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "How the heck was this already on my tbr is the question? You and Trudi are my only friends to have read this, and I've never read her review. Don't tell me I added a gr recommendation. My mind is a..."

Too much porn is rotting your brain.
I want the other two books to this series and I'm lazy about series. The next one has Desmond's crazy ex-wife. Stuff of legends.


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Hmm...I suppose I'll wait and see what you make of the next one, before delving in.

Btw, I finished up that first season of Hap & Leonard over the weekend. It's not too shabby. It captures the spirit of the first book, and sets up the second quite well. My only complaint is, I would have liked to seen more of a smart-mouthed, redneck type actor for Hap. Purefoy was alright, but he wouldn't have been my first choice.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "Hmm...I suppose I'll wait and see what you make of the next one, before delving in.

Btw, I finished up that first season of Hap & Leonard over the weekend. It's not too shabby. It captures the sp..."


I watched the first two episodes but watching it online was frustrating with the dang ads. So I gave up.


Adam Howe Nice review, Shelby. Yep, I enjoyed this one, too.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Adam wrote: "Nice review, Shelby. Yep, I enjoyed this one, too."

Have you read the other ones Adam?


Kelly (and the Book Boar) You had me at taxidermied bobcat! This sounds ermerzhing!!!!!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "You had me at taxidermied bobcat! This sounds ermerzhing!!!!!"

I kept thinking you would lurrve this one.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "Hmm...I suppose I'll wait and see what you make of the next one, before delving in...."

Or you could read it with a frenemy buddy : )


message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Howe Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Adam wrote: "Nice review, Shelby. Yep, I enjoyed this one, too."

Have you read the other ones Adam?"


I didn't even realise they were other ones! More for the reading pile.


message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review Shelby! Love the OITNB gif! :). Pennsutucky! Lol! :)


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Or you could read it with a buddy frenemy: )"

Who did you have in mind? :P Actually, I was just about to crack open the third book (and hopefully the conclusion) to this series that's currently throwing Ed for a loop.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) I have a billion library books and other high quality selections (titles which shall remain nameless) so if you want to read it I'll wait for whenever.


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Alrighty. I think Shelby was about to jump in with Ed's read until it went sideways on him. But sadly there are no werewolves, bikers, or magic peens, so it may not work for y'all. :)


message 17: by Zoeytron (new) - added it

Zoeytron Hmmmm, this was already on my list, too. Don't remember why or when, but it clearly belongs there. Thanks for the fun review, Shelby!


message 18: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "Alrighty. I think Shelby was about to jump in with Ed's read until it went sideways on him. But sadly there are no werewolves, bikers, or magic peens, so it may not work for y'all. :)"

I pushed my way into that one already. I'll prop Ed up from being sideways or push him all the way down. It's undecided.

Jennifer wrote: "Great review Shelby! Love the OITNB gif! :). Pennsutucky! Lol! :)"

I love her little drug addled self.


message 20: by Shelby *trains flying monkeys* (last edited Apr 19, 2016 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"
Thanks Jessica :)

Zoeytron wrote: "Hmmmm, this was already on my list, too. Don't remember why or when, but it clearly belongs there. Thanks for the fun review, Shelby!"

Book ESP!


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "I pushed my way into that one already. I'll prop Ed up from being sideways or push him all the way down. It's undecided."

Any bodily harm is A-okay with me. As long as he can somehow churn out those reviews, I'm totally fine with it.


message 22: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Your gif's are so freakin perfect for this review. Loved it!!


message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Not a big redneck fan, Shelbs, but loved reading this review anyway!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "Your gif's are so freakin perfect for this review. Loved it!!"

Thanks Deanna!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Christine wrote: "Not a big redneck fan, Shelbs, but loved reading this review anyway!"

Nothing wrong with that! :) Thanks Christine


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "AWESOME review Shelby! :)
xoxoxo"


Thanks :)


Kelly (and the Book Boar) THE LIBRARY DOES HAVE THIS ONE!!! I must have only looked on the paper copy site - they have it for Kindle. Wooooooooot!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "THE LIBRARY DOES HAVE THIS ONE!!! I must have only looked on the paper copy site - they have it for Kindle. Wooooooooot!"

I want the next two so bad. I may have to cave and request them. Go gets this one!


message 30: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Awesome review Shelby! I've had this one on my TBR for a long time too! Now I'm really excited to read it.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mindy wrote: "Awesome review Shelby! I've had this one on my TBR for a long time too! Now I'm really excited to read it."

Yay! You liked Hap and Leonard too didn't you? This reminds me of it. :)


message 32: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Yes I did! I dig Rancheros/el caminos too! Being a child of the seventies and all. :D We had this one in dark blue with while pinstriping...
1959_El_Camino.jpg (388×229)


Have to put in request for this from my library.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mindy wrote: "Yes I did! I dig Rancheros/el caminos too! Being a child of the seventies and all. :D We had this one in dark blue with while pinstriping...



Have to put in request for this from my library."


I'm so jealous. That sucker is awesome. I remember us having a Ford Falcon and I hated it at the time. What I would not give for that sucker now.


message 34: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Me too!! I wish we still had it. I don't even know what happened to it. Haha! I'll have to ask my Mom.


message 35: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Hi Shelby! I had to comment here because only my GR friend would think this is exciting. I found this book at the used book store today, for a $1!!!! Yay! Beautiful hardcover too! So EXCITE!!


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Mindy wrote: "Hi Shelby! I had to comment here because only my GR friend would think this is exciting. I found this book at the used book store today, for a $1!!!! Yay! Beautiful hardcover too! So EXCITE!!"

Oh what fun you'll have with this one! 😈


message 37: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Hahaha! I know you one starred it. But that cover! Maybe I'll have better luck. ; )


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mindy wrote: "Hi Shelby! I had to comment here because only my GR friend would think this is exciting. I found this book at the used book store today, for a $1!!!! Yay! Beautiful hardcover too! So EXCITE!!"

That's a total score! Don't listen to 2.0. He is a wrongreader. This book is frigging awesome.


Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Mindy wrote: "Hahaha! I know you one starred it. But that cover! Maybe I'll have better luck. ; )"

Heh heh, fingers crossed.


message 40: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Still excited! 😸


back to top