classic reverie's Reviews > Love and Friendship

Love and Friendship by Jane Austen

bookshelves: austen, romance, 1800, english-writer, own

I found some Juveniles Kindle editions of Jane Austen & "Love & Friendship" was the one I wanted to try next. This was about 97 pages which included 2 short stories, Jane's history of the kings & Queens of England, collections of letters & scraps. Love and Friendship is more of a rough incomplete thought story but complete enough that you would have liked a book instead of this 30 page story. When I was ready this I saw the mature writer Jane Austen trying to tell a story. Having read all her novels including Lady Susan which many say these stories in Love & Friendship should have been published instead of that story. The similarity between Lady Susan & almost all the short stories in Love & Friendship is that they are all written epistolary style which I must say I really enjoy. I agree that these stories are better than Lady Susan. I have read Sense & Sensibility and loved that book but had a hard time understanding the "Sensibility" but these stories had cleared that up for me. I know that seem silly that a word being defined in a dictionary but not really understanding what it means. It is simple "Sensibility" means caring, understanding not just for oneself but others & that is how it is used in her Juveniles stories.

Love and Friendship-- Isabel is imploring her friend, Laura & now middle age to give the details of her "misfortunes and Adventures of your Life.". Laura decides to write to her daughter Marianne. She gives the history through a series of letters. This story is the roughest & reminds me of Anne Radcliffe's characters, swooning & in need of assistance. I really think this would have made a great novel because there is a lot of adventure but too coincidental at parts throughout. All these stories seem to have a melancholy endings compares to a happier Austen in her books. This was written in 1790 & most of her works at this time around 17 years old.

Lesley Castle--- This is my favorite of these stories. The humor in this delicious, in more ways than one. This is so like her published adult books but also with a kind of sadness but not as much as Love & Friendship. Charlotte & Margaret are friends and correspond about friends & family.

The History of England--- Jane tells of the Kings & Queens with her dry sense of humor.

Collection of Letters - 5 letters a story in each & not related to each other. Interesting mix of the working of Austen's mind.

Scraps- a very short play & many really short stories.

Excerpt-This is from Love & Friendship--"My Father started - "What noise is that," (said he.) "It sounds like a loud rapping at the door" - (replied my Mother.) "it does indeed." (cried I.) "I am of your opinion; (said my Father) it certainly does appear to proceed from some uncommon violence exerted against our unoffending door." Yes (exclaimed I) I cannot help thinking it must be something who knocks for admittance"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Friendship.

February 29, 2016 – Started Reading
February 11, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 1800
April 11, 2017 – Shelved as: english-writer
May 5, 2017 – Shelved as: own

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

classic reverie Interesting reading from a young Jane Austen especially from a fan of hers. Some writings seem more mature whereas other less but not less interesting in a story being told.

classic reverie Cleaned up an old review.🌸

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky That last paragraph made me laugh! I can't imagine my family talking like that.