Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You

The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily  Anderson

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

This was such a cute and fun retelling of Much Ado About Nothing which if you haven't read it (or watched an adaptation), you really should. This is most definitely my favourite Shakespearian comedy and I would recommend this retelling to everyone. Anderson writes a cute narrative that will have you laughing and swooning at the same time.

I loved all the little references splattered throughout the book, but I wasn't a fan of the "gatekeeping" that Trixie did with Ben. I understand it was a part of their banter but it still made me feel uncomfortable because she was very much "If you don't know as much as me about the things I love, you aren't worthy of my time" and that overlapped in how she dealt with other people as well. I liked that her friends sort of kept her in check but it still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I did really like all the other characters though and the way that this played out. I liked the modern, high school take on the original play and thought it was really well done. I liked what was said about the amount of pressure put on teenagers to do well in school and I liked that it was addressed. I liked seeing Trixie go from a little cocky and arrogant to taking a step back to evaluate how she handled people and situations. I think her relationships were the best in the story but I did like that everyone sort of had their own lives, own friends, own interests, and Trixie just happened to be there for some of it.

The voice and dialogue in this were so fun and witty and I 10/10 would recommend this if you are a fan of hate to love, Marvel comics, and Joss Whedon. Anderson really knows what it's like to be nerdy and cool and I think this is a book that will speak to people of all ages.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You.

February 29, 2016 – Shelved
February 29, 2016 – Shelved as: cover-love
March 22, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-reviews
April 3, 2016 – Started Reading
April 3, 2016 –
14.0% "oh man I so feel this whole not wanting a boyfriend thing"
April 3, 2016 –
15.0% "but I don't like that Trixie is kinda gatekeeping? She thinks everyone should have the same knowledge as her or else they aren't worthy of her time."
April 3, 2016 –
28.0% "I'm quite enjoying this though."
April 3, 2016 –
30.0% "I mean I already kinda know how this is going to play out but I'm v. excited to see it actually happen."
April 3, 2016 –
33.0% "awh little nerd fight."
April 3, 2016 –
38.0% ""Who wants to be the good twin?" - It was a fair point. --> YES. EVIL TWINS FTW"
April 3, 2016 –
41.0% "okay that was a little dramatic and I have a feeling they knew she was there but kinda taking it too far"
April 3, 2016 –
47.0% "I am grinning like an idiot"
April 3, 2016 –
50.0% ""Idle nerds become supervillains" -- me"
April 3, 2016 –
53.0% "I'm going to start calling my swag "nifty crap""
April 3, 2016 –
53.0% "MY HEART. MY LITTLE HEART CAN'T TAKE IT"
April 3, 2016 –
61.0% "I am finished work and will continue when I get home :) :) :) :)"
April 3, 2016 –
71.0% ""Not that quoting Machiavelli doesn’t make you crazy hot, but it’s also the normal kind of crazy.”"
April 3, 2016 – Finished Reading