Leila Anani's Reviews > Sea Princess Azuri Volume 1

Sea Princess Azuri Volume 1 by Erica Reis

F 50x66
This is the first of a two volume manga series. If follows Orca princess Azuri (half human, half killer whale) who has to make an arranged marriage to Unagi, the Eel Prince (half man half eel) even though she's in love with her bodyguard Thalo.

While far from original, I absolutely adored the arranged marriage/bodyguard love triangle story. Also liked the characters but especially the unique nature of the hybrids - I've NEVER come across merwhales in literature before (only art) and we also have mer-eels, sealicors (unicorn seals) as well as a couple of other hybrids - one looks like half girl, half lobster and the other one might be half man, half dolphin. Huge thumbs up there.

What lets this down is the art, the faces with their large flat noses, chunky bodies and blunt ended shapes just don't appeal to me at all. I find it quite ugly which just doesn't sit well with such a beautiful/magical story.

Although this manga is aimed at the younger end of the spectrum mer fans of all ages will enjoy it. I'd certainly love to see more stories in this universe.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Princess Azuri Volume 1.

February 28, 2016 – Started Reading