Z ~ The Diary of Book Enthusiasts's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

it was ok

For a world-known assassin, Celaena Sardothien is surprisingly tame.

I had a hard time believing that our protagonist is a world-known assassin, mostly because she has more bark than bite. She keeps telling everyone, including the readers, that she is a very, very skilled assassin, but I didn't see anything (until the end, anyway--more on that in a second) to prove this true. No show of her assassin skills until the very end. Granted, the Captain of the Guard (Chaol Westfall) advised her against showing her true skills, but I didn't see why she should obey him completely. Given her attitude, I expected her to be someone who wouldn't be able to resist showing off, even just a little. I had that feeling that this book is trying so hard to convince me that our assassin is badass and good at everything, but . . . I just didn't see how she could be. If anything, she just seems. . .very girlish. She's conflicting.

The world-building is not the best I have read (it confused me most of the time), but not the worst, either. I had a hard time connecting with the characters, probably because of the writing style (of which I'm not fond). The romance seemed to be thrown in at random, making it awkward and stiff at best. I still cannot figure out how the Assassin and the Crown Prince happened; it feels like the Captain of the Guard has more chemistry (if any) with the Assassin. This love triangle feels forced--the kind that I absolutely hate. It's not a secret that I hate love triangles, but if the authors feel this necessary in their books, the least they can do is make it convincing.

I was only able to enjoy this book completely when it hit the climax. I wish I'd had more action like that somewhere in the book. I'm curious about the next book, though, so I guess I'm going to read that.

~ Zee

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Started Reading
February 28, 2016 – Shelved
February 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by A (new) - rated it 2 stars

A Many readers say that the succeeding books are better. The novellas are their favorite part of the series. Perhaps, it deserves another chance?

Z ~ The Diary of Book Enthusiasts Allyn wrote: "Many readers say that the succeeding books are better. The novellas are their favorite part of the series. Perhaps, it deserves another chance? "

I'm currently reading the sequel, so I guess we'll see. :) ~Zee

message 3: by Djan (new)

Djan Conflicted. Nearly bought this book. Now I don't know if I dodge a bullet or what.

Z ~ The Diary of Book Enthusiasts Djan wrote: "Conflicted. Nearly bought this book. Now I don't know if I dodge a bullet or what."

I think you'll be able to tolerate this, but I'm not sure about the next books. You should read a sample/excerpt first so you'll see the writing style.