Micheline's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Mar 24, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, multiple-reads, hero-worship, magic-witches-wizards, classics, vampires-werewolves, fantasy, young-adult, epic, high-fantasy
Recommended for: everyone
Read from July 16 to 21, 2016

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the middle book of the series and it might just be the most unique one in the series - at least as far as the format goes. With the very first chapter, it sets up a tone that is significantly darker than previous instalments. ''The Riddle House'' still creeps me out, after multiple readings. Rowling sets the tone of the book with that chapter and throughout it's subsequent and numerous chapters, there's a mounting sense of unease always looming just below the surface. And it.is.brilliant.

Goblet of Fire is a much more mature addition to the series, in terms of tone, characterization and the storyline itself. It also broadens the scope of The Wizarding World considerably by introducing us to events like the Quidditch World Cup, as well as other Wizarding schools in Europe. This book puts J.K. Rowling's imagination and planning on full display, as it begins to subtly hint the over-reaching storyline for the series...not to mention the huge reveal at the end that irrevocably changes the game henceforth.

In terms of the unique format I alluded to above, it goes well beyond the shift in perspective of the first chapter and the Quidditch World Cup we are treated to in the beginning. As soon as the students return to Hogwarts they learn that this year, they will be welcoming students from two other wizarding schools into their midst. The reason? The TriWizard Tournament! An inter-school wizarding competition that pits three (-ish) students against each other to face some seriously advanced magic for a chance to become the TriWizard Champion! Because of this competition, Quidditch is put on hold for the entire year so Hogwarts can fully commit to Triwizard fever! The tasks involved are intense and riveting: dragons, mazes, under-water rescues and a wide variety of magical creatures are introduced.

Through it all, Harry remains in even worse peril than he's ever been and while he faces magic fit for much older wizards than him, Harry remains unbelievable courageous and a survivor above all else. By the end, when he faces his worst nightmare, my heart went out to him more than ever before. I was right there with him every step of the way!

The Goblet of Fire is a perfect mid-series book. It's wholly different from the rest while still fitting in perfectly into the existing - and upcoming narrative. The darker and more mature tone marks a definite shift in the series as much as I always dread parts of what is to come, I enjoyed every second of this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quotes Micheline Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory.”

J.K. Rowling
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”

J.K. Rowling
“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is my belief... that the truth is generally preferable to lies.”

J.K. Rowling
“Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.”

J.K. Rowling
“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”

J.K. Rowling
“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”

“Don't talk to me."
"Why not?"
"Because I want to fix that in my memory for ever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret...”

09/22/2011 page 106
17.0% "Chapter Nine - The Dark Mark...right where it gets exciting and I can't keep my eyes open."
10/06/2011 page 371
58.0% "...I always feel daunted when I approach GoF because of it's massive size, until I zoom through half of it and remember: no Harry Potter book is ever too big :)"
10/18/2011 page 552
86.0% "Chapter 32 - Flesh,Blood & Bone. Creepiest HP chapter ever...and I've gotta go to bed. wompwomp"
07/16/2016 marked as: currently-reading
07/16/2016 marked as: read
07/17/2016 page 245
33.0% "Harry and Ron in Divination class are THE BEST THING XD"
07/20/2016 page 579
78.0% "I can't handle my feelings right now *cries*"
07/20/2016 page 603
82.0% "Fawkes' concern for Harry. Sirius' worry. Dumbledore's words. I CAN'T."
07/20/2016 marked as: read
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Harry Potter is, in a way a classic:)

Micheline I completely agree! Every so often I get the urge to re-read it :)

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary haha i lost count of how many times I've re-read them. i just feel like i noticed something diff. each time. another thing is that i was about the character of harrys age when he first went

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary to Hogwarts so it felt like i was growing up with him:)

Micheline OMG that must have been great...to kinda grow up with them ♥ Oh and I'm the SAME way, everytime I re-read them I notice something new or I appreciate some passage in a different way.

Oh and I'm on lucky number 7 for the re-reads LOL...I'm sure I'll eventually lose count too though :)