Sara's Reviews > Jane Steele

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

Is it horrible if I like this fresh, Gothic retelling of Jane Eyre more than the original? (Probably. But I do.) Don't get me wrong, I still admire Jane Eyre and her powerful story, but Jane Steele is Eyre's story for a modern audience. It's raw, emotional, sensual, bloody, thought-provoking, and a damn good read.

I loved that Jane Steele reads Jane Eyre throughout the book. She remarks on the similarity between her and Eyre's lives, but also comments on the stupid things that Eyre did at times. I welcomed the similarity since it made me think I knew what was coming next and then was pleasantly surprised when it turned a different corner. But I like the ties between the stories and how Jane Steele was inspired by Jane Eyre's twists.

Jane Steele is not a serial killer like people have commented. Serial killers kill for pleasure and while Jane does take pleasure in knowing these men are dead, the deeds are done out of necessity, not because she likes killing people. I like that Jane is intelligent, aware of her own faults, and a sexual being (a suppressed Victorian woman she is not). I liked Charles Thornfield the moment we met him and immediately shipped him and Jane. I can't say the same for Rochester and Jane Eyre unfortunately. Thornfield's background and the thing about his gloves did make me roll my eyes a bit, but it does suit him and the story.

I really loved this story and I could see myself reading this again in the future!

*I received a copy from NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Steele.

February 28, 2016 – Shelved