Alisha Tarran's Reviews > Holding Court

Holding Court by K.C. Held

20160275
Feb 28, 2016

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS GOING TO BE A SERIES?! It really, really needs to be you guys!
This book is so much perfection you have no idea, it was funny, there was romance, there was mystery and ya know...murder and it was also kind of original. Like the whole setting was so brilliantly done and I wasn't expecting all the scenes with them doing the whole Tudor thing, it was brilliant and very well done and added a little something extra to the book!

I loved the setting in general, and I would totally go there if given half a chance, not going to lie! The setting really came alive for me, it was vivid and creepy in parts and was very atmospheric.

I loved the characters and I need another book to confirm how perfect Hank and Jules's mum are for each other! They're a rather lively bunch, and they all helped to bring the story to life, especially as half of them you were kind of suspicious of!

There is romance in this book, but it's kind of subtle, and not the main focus of the book, but I enjoyed the scenes, they where cute and I was rooting for them as a couple because they where adorable together and I now have the intense urge to re-watch Princess Bride or actually read the book, seeing as it's staring at me from my shelf! I just loved the two of them together!

The plot was brilliant, it kept taking twists and turns, I wasn't sure what was going to happen next, I actually guessed the murderer...but then talked myself out of because I couldn't quite think of a motivation and then there was this other scene and I was like NO WAY, but then it wasn't the person I was being led to believe it was and yeah. There's lots of mind blowing surprises, and I loved the twist to Bree and everything with her and Grayson and Jules, it surprised me and was pure brilliance!

Holding Court is well written, it's fast paced, and it's entertaining. The characters come to life, and the setting is vivid and mysterious and kinda creepy at times. The romance was cute, and certainly gave you the warm and fuzzies, but was not the main point of the story, nor was it simple and easy and I particularly like that it took an original twist and didn't end how most of these kinds of stories end! I loved the power Jules had, it was part of what made the book funny even though I felt for her so badly! I was so intrigued by her mum and Grandmother as well! I loved how the author decided to step it up a notch and actually have scenes with the characters in well...character as their Tudor counterpart! Particularly Hank!

In short it was everything you want in a book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holding Court.

February 28, 2016 – Shelved