Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party

Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party by Mélanie Watt

Mar 24, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Emily
Recommended for: as a birthday gift; kids who like birthdays, parties, dogs, squirrels & kids who are fearful

This is the fifrth Sscaredy Squirrel book and I’ve read them all. They’re all great. This one is particularly funny and sweet. AND, it has dogs. Dogs! And cake! And a birthday party!

Scaredy plans his safe party for one, then changes his plans to include a thoughtful friend. But, all goes more than a bit haywire.

Kids who like birthdays, parties, dogs, squirrels, and funny picture books are likely to enjoy this one, and these books don’t have to be read in order although of course, I recommend it, and I do suggest the first one should be read first. But even kids who are meeting Scaredy for the first time could enjoy this book as a birthday gifts. Kids who are shy, fearful, compulsive, obsessive, and afraid of taking risks will relate to Scaredy, and I think these books have some potential to be therapeutic.

There’s plenty enough going on to entertain everyone, including the adults. The facial expression on the pony got me on the verge of giggling. The first book and the Makes a Friend book are probably my favorites, but this one comes close.

The illustrations are a hoot. They’re part of telling the story as many words are within and a part of them. The special surprise at the end is done fabulously.

Because the pages are so busy with words and pictures, either independent readers or listeners who like a lot of detail are the best audience for this book.

4 ½ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party.

Emily Great review! Can't wait to really sit down with it. My library doesn't have it yet. They are so s-l-o-w to acquire and catalog new books.

Lisa Vegan Emily wrote: "Great review! Can't wait to really sit down with it. My library doesn't have it yet. They are so s-l-o-w to acquire and catalog new books."

Emily, My library is NOT buying a lot of books and they're also often slow to acquire the ones they do purchase. But, occasionally they get new books quickly. I was lucky with this one. Luckily, there are a plethora of good books to keep picture book readers occupied while waiting for special books to become available.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Dogs! And cake! And a birthday party!"

Sign me up! ;-)

Shelli i had no clue there was a new scaredy squirrel! thanks for the review.. love Scaredy Squirrel, my personal hero!!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, Definitely!

Shelli, I didn't know either until I saw it on my Goodreads friend's Emily's shelf/my update feed. Hooray for Goodreads!

message 6: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Marcos I haven't met Scaredy Squirrel yet. Looks like we are in for a treat. Great review, makes me want to get my hands on it right away.

Lisa Vegan Crystal wrote: "I haven't met Scaredy Squirrel yet. Looks like we are in for a treat. Great review, makes me want to get my hands on it right away."

Oh, read all the Scaredy Squirrel books. I'd read them in order but I have book series order OCD tendencies. ;-)

message 8: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Crystal wrote: "I haven't met Scaredy Squirrel yet. Looks like we are in for a treat. Great review, makes me want to get my hands on it right away."

Oh, read all the Scaredy Squirrel..."

I like to read books in order too. Once in awhile, I don't.=)

Lisa Vegan It's not absolutely necessary with these. For you, more than Kaylee, it might be more fun to at least read the first one first; it does set the scene of Scaredy's life and fears.

message 10: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "It's not absolutely necessary with these. For you, more than Kaylee, it might be more fun to at least read the first one first; it does set the scene of Scaredy's life and fears."

I was contemplating that, I will read the first one first. Thanks for the information.

Luann Nice review, Lisa! I hadn't noticed these books before. I added the first to my TBR. Looks like my public library has three of them - including the first one! So I'll check them out the next time I'm there.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Luann, These books are so much fun. I'm glad you're going to read them. I am glad your library has the first one because I do think it's best to start with that one first. After the first book, the order doesn't seem to matter that much.

Luann Thanks, Lisa! I'll get to them soon. Another branch in the system had a fourth one, so I put it on hold. They also have the newest one, but won't allow holds on that one for a while.