Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, The Ultra-runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Mar 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: christopher-mcdougall, owned, 2011
Read from April 11 to 16, 2011

I'm not born to be a runner, but God given us something to run. Since elementary or let me say since the day I was born, I'm not really into running. I'm weak physically but I can do things simple and I can play table tennis, more than that, I'm like a weakling of our generation. I always ask myself, what does it feels to be running in a field or grass and flowers or in a place where orange sand, cactus and animals that spits poison can be found? Reading books was like running, it was like lifting every pages, every foot stomp on its way to the end or the finish line, waiting for something nice in the end with unexpected journey.

While reading Born to Run, your journey and perspective of running will forever be change wanting to be free to all sickness and tragedy of your past. Running infinite; no tracks, no road, no turns. But to continue running horizontally in a black room with sparkling dots and shapes. Ended in a journey with life busted, wanting to do it again and again.

My last running experience was when my PE teacher asked us to run in the field for 30 minutes and it was one of the worst thing happened to me. I forgot to bring something important, something I needed most of that time, water. Seriously, if my sister reminded me of bringing some I won't be in the clinic for the whole day. That was the last and the most unforgettable moment these college years. Well, I was hoping for more running experience after reading this book. Hell, if you only read the part were Christopher McDougall explains why human were born to ultra-runners.

In our generation most of the time, researchers are now interested in making running as one of the most interesting sports in the world. Using our bare feet to run in the field and how far can it handle? They invented too many shoes to be enjoyed by the consumers; they are well-equipped, well-researched and well-designed for us to enjoy something while running. Not only shoes, sport's scientists also invented something that boost our body while doing exhausting works that are rich with artificial sugars at the same time dangerous and addicting. But how far can these things help us in running? Nobody knows.

But when this epic runners goes in public running, underground marathon and all night drinking. This so called new generation of runners were awake of losing their foot from the hands of the tribe that I and all the readers may not know their name before and they were called the Tarahumaras. They are well described as super-athletes Indians that can be found in Mexico, invented a liquid that can boost their body capacity at the same time running without shoes. Imagine, scientists doing preliminary examinations and research for year that cost thousands that only give us limited results and sometimes failed us.

This super-athletes that we are looking for are waiting for us to discover them but the most important is, are this endangered runners are worth losing in the end? Christopher Mcdougall, entrails his readers to go run for their freedom to discover things far from what been expected. Natural science is worth discovering at the same time knowing ourselves and our history for us to discover things that God given us in the beginning.

Is that a violin or a somehow related to it? I can't believe Tarahumaras wear clothes I thought they were naked and wearing short skirt. I can't believe it, I was imagining those things until I finish reading the book.

The Rarámuri or Tarahumara are an indigenous people of northern Mexico who are renowned for their long-distance running ability. - Wikipedia

Rating - Born to Run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners, and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall, 3 Sweets and the freedom to run. (I though Caballo Blanco or the White Horse was a mystery, after looking for those Tarahumara pictures I saw his sites somewhere online. You can visit his site here . I don't mind but I'm not interested in reading his profile but the author exaggerated everything or I'm too over imagining those things again while reading. The Tarahumara language was interesting. Thanks to my Reading Buddy Krizia, Review .)

Challenges:
Book #64 for 2011
Shelfari - Flips Flipping Pages, April 2011 Discussion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

04/13/2011 page 56
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Rollie (new)

Rollie I like running but I'm a slow runner. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Running for me was like drying myself under the sun, crisped and soaked with oil. Yuck.

message 3: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Ang arte naman. I did running before. More like jogging every morning before.

Krizia Anna I love walking..haha maybe I would love running (haha coming from a couch potato!)

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, I was joking don't take everything seriously. Haha. I jogged when I take my PE 4 but now I'm busy reading.

Krizia, Loko, do gallop for me please. Haha. Kidding.

message 6: by Rollie (new)

Rollie You now jog the pages of books. :D

message 7: by Velvetink (new) - added it

Velvetink I like to run, haven't been running since august (broke my ankle) falling down stairs - leg was numb after being on computer for a long time.....lol. and ha. serves me right. It's good though now I am catching up on my reading.

Those Rarámuri or Tarahumara sound interesting. btw have you read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami?

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, corny. Haha.

Velvetink, Good for you and I hate to play under the sun but I love sand castle and never enjoyed swimming. Two fallacy phrases made. You have to be careful next time, time to time, do running and wear slippers not shoes. Haha. Kidding. I think you have to read this book.

Murakami's running book, nope but I was hoping to grab one this year. Have you read it?

message 9: by Velvetink (new) - added it

Velvetink Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "Rollie, corny. Haha.

;) I mostly ran at night after dinner! You could do that, no sun!

Yes didn't think I'd like Murakami's running book but it was pretty good, not all about running, more about how he motivates himself to write really but not like all those self help books that go on and on. You learn about him - how he thinks.

Kwesi 章英狮 Velvetink, I see, I think this book is more on the alternative running and why people are born to be a runner. My foot hurts so do the author, I read that his foot smells bad. Kidding. Do you like medical explanation or something scientific? I think Murakami's foot is better than McDougall.

I'll try that one. Night running. Haha.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly great review. reading it was like running away from a mad dog.

message 12: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 21, 2011 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, thanks and I dedicated this short comment to a mad dog too. *Looking above.

Petra X I loved this book, but it didn't persuade me to buy trainers and go for it myself.

Kwesi 章英狮 Same, I still like it but I'm not really into outdoor activities. Hehe.

message 15: by Enassar (new)

Enassar I love your review. Honestly, I think runner or not you will want to run for forever and a day after reading this book. I think that this book really did it for making running seem like the best sport in the world. It makes it seem exciting, healthy, and actually truly enjoyable.
It started out as an adventure of McDougall finding the Tarahumaras with a bunch of seemingly random but truly interesting information related to running. My favorite part of the whole book was at the end. McDougall had got all of these wonderfully talented and known ultra-runners and actually raced with them!! That was so cool!!
I was rooting for him the whole time. It doesn't even matter that he ended up dead last. That's to be expected. The fact that he finished the entire 100 miles of trail was so impressive on its own.