Gary's Reviews > Children of Time

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Children of Time finds the last survivors of the war-ravaged human race travelling through space on an ark ship, seeking out planets that had been terraformed for human habitation by a long dead interstellar empire. Eventually they find what should be a perfect home; except it is defended by an insane AI whose scientist forbear had inadvertently uplifted the planet's spider population to sentience.

I did have an issue with Tchaikovsky's use of perspective in some of the spider-based chapters. Occasionally he shifted from a tight third person, way way back into a very omniscient third, so omniscient in fact that he was conferring information in terms that directly addressed a 21st century readership: sudden swings from moderately immersive writing to immersion so low it was practically underground, and then back again. Perhaps he felt the spider world was so alien a concept to readers that special exceptions were required, but for me the effect was distracting, and only had the off-putting effect of "othering" the spider civilization, when my empathy and investment in their narrative was fully engaged.

But in the end I had so much fun reading this book it was a forgivable misstep. Really, this is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Time.

February 28, 2016 – Started Reading
February 28, 2016 – Shelved
March 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Basia Great review. I'm starting to see what you meant re the omniscient 3rd person perspective. Nice catch. I was at a loss how to put that into words yet. About a third in. WOW, what a BOOK!!!

Gary Thanks Basia!

carol. "From this whacked out setup (which I fully admit relies on a teensy bit of hand-waviness at the get go) comes one of the most entertaining and compulsively readable sci-fi novels I've torn through in the last few years, and one that doesn't skimp on the thought-provoking either."

Love this! Perfect and true.

Gary Thanks, Carol!