Chad Kohalyk's Reviews > This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate

This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein

liked it
bookshelves: audio, history-politics

Towards a universal theory of social progress, with climate change the catalyst, and a radical approach to aggressive regulation of the fossil fuels industry.

I saw Naomi Klein talk recently, and that motivated me to read this book. She made most of her points in the talk, which made reading this book feel like reading about 400 pages of research notes and footnotes. She certainly was able to collect a lot of damning evidence and quotations. It kind of feels like reading about 500 op-eds on the same topic, one after another. A hammer endlessly banging on an anvil.

I largely agree with her position, and I think she pushed me to think more radically about my own anti-oil position. But she accomplished that with her 1hr talk. Reading this book did not add that much. I don't think I will bother watching the TV documentary. Maybe I should have just watched that instead.

If someone asks me "what is the big deal, why should I care? Can you recommend a SINGLE book to lay out everything?" then I will definitely recommend this book. Though I wouldn't expect anyone to actually finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Changes Everything.

February 27, 2016 – Started Reading
February 27, 2016 – Shelved
February 27, 2016 –
page 0
"After seeing Naomi Klein speak recently, I thought I would finally try and read one of her books."
February 28, 2016 –