Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder

Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Antifragile is a weird book to say the least because it seems to be a reverse of what is taught. Taleb shows that we as humans have created very fragile systems that don’t have fail safes built in such the whenever a chaotic Black Swan event occurs it completely destroys the system. Most of the book are example of the fragile and the antifragile equivalent.

Examples range from medicine where by getting unnecessary surgery you are making yourself more prone to complications that the body itself can resolve or taking multiple different medicines which might have side effects that are not known. The fragility of globalization and finance, of large companies, of science as it is practiced, soccer moms, etc.

Overall a great book that has really awakened me to the fragilities in the systems we have in place but also a book that acknowledged my own sense of unnecessary interventionism that modern day society imposes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Antifragile.

Quotes Abhi Liked

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“Psychologists have shown the irony of the process of thought control: the more energy you put into trying to control your ideas and what you think about, the more your ideas end up controlling you.”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“When you don’t have debt you don’t care about your reputation in economics circles—and somehow it is only when you don’t care about your reputation that you tend to have a good one. Just”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“We are fragilizing social and economic systems by denying them stressors and randomness, putting them in the Procrustean bed of cushy and comfortable—but ultimately harmful—modernity.”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote, citing him: “It seemed, wrote Machiavelli, that in the midst of murders and civil wars, our republic became stronger [and] its citizens infused with virtues.… A little bit of agitation gives resources to souls and what makes the species prosper isn’t peace, but freedom.”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“This is hard to accept in the age of the Internet. It has been very hard for me to explain that the more data you get, the less you know what’s going on, and the more iatrogenics you will cause. People are still under the illusion that “science” means more data.”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“And the key phrase reverberating in Seneca’s oeuvre is nihil perditi, “I lost nothing,” after an adverse event. Stoicism”

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
“The story of the wheel also illustrates the point of this chapter: both governments and universities have done very, very little for innovation and discovery, precisely because, in addition to their blinding rationalism, they look for the complicated, the lurid, the newsworthy, the narrated, the scientistic, and the grandiose, rarely for the wheel on the suitcase. Simplicity, I realized, does not lead to laurels.”

February 27, 2016 – Started Reading