Lisa Kay's Reviews > James Herriot's Dog Stories

James Herriot's Dog Stories by James Herriot

1) Magnus the difficult.
2) Mrs. Donovan’s beautiful Golden Retriever Roy.
    “It’s those wonderful condition powders.”
3 & 4) Skipper & Jingo II.

[image error][image error]
[image error][image error]

More than fifty enchanting stories of every type of dog – from pure breeds to mutts – told by the famous Yorkshire vet. Plenty of laughter and tons of tears in this one. It was too hard to pick a favorite. I just love the wise and wonderful ♥James Herriot♥. He knows and loves animals and how to tell their heartwarming stories.

Special Note: Some of the stories that appear in the volume are reprinted from JH’s All Creatures Great and Small series.

Tip, the sheepdog who slept in the snow.
[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James Herriot's Dog Stories.

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla OMG Lisa Kay!! I love your pictorial review. I read this book years ago and have read it many times since. I recently donated hard cover books to my local library, but this was one I would not give up! James Herriot is an amazing man, and tells a wonderful tale! Dog tails!!

Thanks for the memories!

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Glad you enjoyed it, Karla! Just love him. I was trying to figure out why the audio was only around three hours; that is why I didn't buy it. Then I found that some of the stories are repeats. I'll have to listen to the audiobook of All Creatures Great and Small. My library has one from that series on audio.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, lovely! Lovely, lovely!

Lisa Kay Cute little dudes, eh, Dhes?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes!! I'm such a pet person.

Lisa Kay How is your baby doing, anyway?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Are you going to keep adding to it, an image for each story?

Lisa Kay No! LOL! How is your little one?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "How is your baby doing, anyway?"

Oh, Juliett's doing sooooo good now! After a full 3 months she's finally been released, but since it was an experimental surgery, the vet would like to see her back several times over the coming year, but at no charge. He's very excited to use this procedure on severely injured dogs and cats.

It's funny to look at her leg though. Since they stretched the belly skin and wrapped it around her upper leg, she has a nipple on her inner thigh and one on her knee, too! LOL! Plus, the fur on the belly wasn't as thick, so her leg, while there's some fur, isn't as full as the rest of her.

But the important thing is she's using it, it's completely healed, no infections, no complications... a miracle!

Thank you for asking about her!!!

Lisa Kay Oh, I so glad she is still doing well, Dhes! Kiss her for me. ☺

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, I so glad she is still doing well, Dhes! Kiss her for me. ☺"

You bet! Megan and I keep joking that Juliette probably thinks the attack was the best thing to happen to her because she got spoiled rotten... well, spoiled rottoner! LOL!

Lisa Kay Aw. Poor sweetie!

message 13: by Ian (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:57PM) (new)

Ian My little story.
He lived a long and happy life but his beginning wasn't so good. My sister-in-law who is a teacher was leaving her school one afternoon when she heard some noise come from one of those wheelie bins. She opened it and found Scraps badly dehydrated and in a mess of rubbish. He hadn't been weened so Ruth had to be his mother for a while, but eventually he came to me because I had a better yard.

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna Makes me want to read his books again!!

Lisa Kay Ian wrote: "Scraps died in my arms of inoperable cancer about 5 years ago. I buried him in my backyard underneath an orange tree."

Oh, Ian. I'm sorry. He was lucky he had you and your sister-in-law. How long did you have him?

Lisa Kay Donna wrote: "Makes me want to read his books again!!"

It does, Donna! I think I'm going to listen to the All Creatures Great and Small series on audiobook, even though some of the stories are repeated in this one. I head the narrator is great.

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I love your review, Lisa Kay, especially the pictures. I'm a dog person and these pups are adorable!
I read All Creatures Great and Small and a few other books by this writer ages ago and loved them! :-)

message 18: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Oh yes, James Herriott! I read his "All Creatures..." series when I was a teenager. I still remember the story of him whipping the barber's dog around his head to get him breathing again and praying the tele-sensitive barber wouldn't find out.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kelly & Moira! Yes, it was nice re-visiting these stories.

Brema Moon Very touching stories of dogs and their companions.
Firstly, it seemed to be hard to read it because I'm not a kind of person who loves dogs.
But sincerely, when it comes to an end, I started from the beginning again and searched for the dogs' breed pics in each stories in Google because I want to see what they look like.
So this book is suitable for:
- The person who lives with dogs.
- The person who loves dogs.
- The person who wants to be a veterinarian like Dr. James Herriot.
- The person who doesn't like dogs (but when you finished, be prepared to get one!)