Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?

Linchpin by Seth Godin

Linchpin is Seth Godin's call to action of being an artist (i.e bringing humanity to what you do) in a world of mechanization. His thesis seems to be that we are in a world where mechanization or being a cog seems to be what the flow of the world is asking. We are individual pieces that are replaceable, we do as we are told, we follow the script given to us, and we don't deviate from the norm.

His view seems to be that is the way to obsolescence. That if you are just a cog then your job is not safe because you can be replaced much easier with another cog or machine. He, therefore, calls to bring artistry to whatever we do. To customer service, coding, etc. To make yourself the irreplaceable one. However, my view differs here in that when you work for someone you are replaceable. Regardless of how good you may be the company will go on and right itself. You as an individual don't really matter that much and as such being a cog in a wheel no matter how linchpinesque you make yourself at the end doesn't really matter.

But in terms of you running something I could see this call of bring artistry to what you are doing more applicable. Because if you can provide a service as an art form then that is worth something. People pay extra for that because there is a human aspect to it, e.g the hipster coffee shops. Basically being a linchpin is nothing more than bringing out the humanity that is held down from corporate regularity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linchpin.

March 31, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 31, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 27, 2016 – Started Reading