André Carreira's Reviews > Selected Stories

Selected Stories by Alice Munro

bookshelves: short-stories, anglophone

It goes without saying that Munro is an amazing writer. From this collection, three tales stood out: "The Dance of The Happy Shades", "Labor Day Dinner" and "Meneseteung". If I were to rate her stories individually, these three would get the highest possible rating (and the second one would surpass it).
Her short stories tend to focus on the lives of everyday men and women and expose life for what it is, in the context of its everydayness turned farce; it is the breaking point, the shock, the sensuous or sexual adventure, the delayed and never-to-be- fulfilled possibilities and the dying memories that she portrays. And she does so with frank, heartfelt prose.

"Meneseteung" is, and I think anyone who has felt it will agree, a masterful description of the poetic process, the fever dream. The hollow insomnia.
For she hadn't thought that crocheted roses could float away or that tombstones could hurry down the street. She doesn't mistake that for reality, and neither does she mistake anything else for reality, and that is how she knows she is sane.

If you want to know more, read it. It's worth it. I would recommend "Labor Day Dinner" to everyone and anyone, as it faces the two most important things in life and literature: love (the great mirror) and death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selected Stories.

February 27, 2016 – Shelved
April 17, 2016 – Started Reading
page 50
12.14% "My only rest from philosophy untill June..."
page 50
12.14% "My only ocasional rest from philosophy untill June..."
page 50
12.14% "My only occasional break from philosophy until June..."
April 25, 2016 –
page 114
27.67% ""I didn't stop there, I suppose, because I wanted to find out more, remember more. I wanted to bring back all I could. Now I look at what I have done and it is like a series of snapshots, like the brownish snapshots with fancy borders that my parent's old camera use to take. ""
May 15, 2016 –