Matthew's Reviews > Original Sin

Original Sin by Beth McMullen

Mar 23, 2011

Got the book as an ARC (I'm accumulating quite a bit of those recently!) and I've got to say, it's totally out of the realm of anything I normally read. It looked decent and since I've requested the ARC I'm required to write a small review.

On the outside, Lucy is a normal suburban mother but deep down inside, she's a ruthless killer, a spy for the US government, or was... Until she decided to leave the Agency. Throughout this book, Lucy reminisces about her former life as a spy telling of her times in France, Cambodia (Surprised she didn't pull and Angelina Jolie!), Yemen, etc. Makes for a hilarious back story that leads up to a surprising ending. This is quite short of a book and I found that it took me quite a long time to read. It is a slow read, but there's quite a bit of character development and descriptions which I actually wanted to read. Usually when I find a book is dragging, I skip the boring stuff and scroll to dialogue.

Lucy's story would have gotten 5 stars had it had an ending but, in my opinion, there should and probably will be a sequel. I hope it doesn't turn into a series or I have a feeling it will end up like the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich (which I was done with after the 4th...).

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope you'll all pick up a copy when it comes out in July.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Original Sin.