Vasya's Reviews > Bite Me

Bite Me by Parker Blue

Mar 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal

Val and Dan - whew, what to say about them. They really make a cute couple, and their personalities really are compatible.

But, their persona are not the ones what I would have put in their situation.

They are cute, they have problems, they deal with them, but the whole paranormal aspect of their lives just seem surreal. I would put them in a young-adult novel, with a little bit less action and more make-outs. They just seem so young for this type of book that I sometimes really got the feeling that I was reading about a movie, where actors that are way too inexperienced have to take on roles that they just can't accomplish and give them the right credibility. And while the story was fascinating in its way, I really couldn't get into it properly.

I also divided this book in two parts - the first one is until Val starts introducing herself as Slayer, and the other is after she does it. The first part was actually very good, but as soon as she started going into the role of Slayer, I kept having flashbacks to Cat from Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost. It seems like Cat was Val's idol and she wants to go in her footsteps, but doesn't have enough experience or the necessary toughness of character to pull it off. And quite frankly, it got me a little bit frustrated because I couldn't stop comparing Val to Cat and finding her all kinds of faults.

I think that this book had a great beginning, but the culmination of the events, of the relationships and personalities really left me waiting something more. I don't know if I am going to try the next book. I will have to think about it.

This review was based on a digital ARC received via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bite Me.