Irene Adam's Reviews > Octopus

Octopus by Michael   Gallagher

U 50x66
Feb 26, 2016

I received an advance review copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This is another interesting and very entertaining story about the further adventures of 14-year-old Octavius Guy, also known as Gooseberry, as he investigates the death of a leading actress who dies on stage under mysterious circumstances. She is also a former cohort in his previous life. Gooseberry has now been promoted to the solicitor’s Chief Investigator but, though a reformed pickpocket, is still the criminal overlord managing London’s criminal underclass. Bertha who has a flower stand in the market is a very interesting character that adds a great deal of color to the story. The setting is London during the Victorian era. I really enjoy the way the author writes and the subtle humor he uses throughout the book. Again the author includes a very helpful glossary of Palari terms at the beginning of the book. The story held my attention right up until the end. Although this book stands alone and is a complete story in itself it might be beneficial to read “Gooseberry,” the first book in the Send for Octavius Guy chronicles for background info on Gooseberry. I recommend this very entertaining book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Octopus.

Finished Reading