Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

liked it
bookshelves: historical

Ehh maybe I went into this with too high of expectations. Maybe it was a mistake to read it right after The Nightingale. Either way, I'm pretty underwhelmed right now.

I feel like giving this book anything less than 5 stars is just asking for angry messages declaring me an idiot for failing to grasp quality literature, buuuut this is my personal opinion. This book just wasn't my cup of tea.

I DID think some moments in the story were really beautiful. The imagery was amazing and the settings felt super realistic, too. I genuinely liked the first half of the book!

However, I didn't fully get into any of the POVs and wasn't huge on the writing style. There's nothing wrong with it... it just never hooked me (so you can totally write it off as my lack of taste). I thought the end was almost comically underwhelming, but I also didn't even care because I just wanted the story to be over.

So there were parts I liked and I'm definitely glad I read it!! Buuut it's not something I'm going to enthusiastically recommend to anyone or buy for myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Light We Cannot See.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

lucie I liked the book but the ending disappointed me a lot.
Few friends asked me if I'd recommend to read this book and I didn't know what to answer. On the one hand it's a nice book but on the other you can find better ones in my opinion

Calis Johnson I think the book should have stuck with Maurie Laure's point of view and kept Werner out all together. his side just bogs the book down.

Christa I really enjoyed this book, but I can totally see where you are coming from about the writing style. It's definitely not for everyone.

message 4: by MA (new) - rated it 4 stars

MA Loved this but I know the writing style isn’t for everyone!

Vanessa Same as you. I was really disappointed.

message 6: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Wain I was pretty underwhelmed by this too. Not sure why it gained as much praise as it did!

Cait • A Page with a View lucie wrote: "I liked the book but the ending disappointed me a lot.

That's exactly it! Like it's definitely not bad at all. I'm just... not particularly enthusiastic.

Cait • A Page with a View Calis wrote: "I think the book should have stuck with Maurie Laure's point of view and kept Werner out all together. his side just bogs the book down."

Ha everyone has different taste I guess because his part was actually my favorite :)

Cait • A Page with a View MA wrote: "Loved this but I know the writing style isn’t for everyone!"

Almost everyone I know loved it as well!

Cait • A Page with a View Leanne wrote: "I was pretty underwhelmed by this too. Not sure why it gained as much praise as it did!"

I suppose everyone has different taste

message 11: by Mimi 'Pans' (new)

Mimi 'Pans' Herondale My sister really liked this book.

Cait • A Page with a View Mimi wrote: "My sister really liked this book."

that's so fun!

Sharon Gladstone Agree - felt exactly the same - liked it but didn’t love it and found the changing of characters meant I didn’t fully connect

Melack Eshetu I read this just after The Nightingale too!