Jules's Reviews > Centuries of June

Centuries of June by Keith Donohue

Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: dark-comedy, arc-first-reads, mystery, historical-fiction, ghost-story
Read from April 11 to 24, 2011

This aptly titled novel, Centuries of June, is an ambitious and surreal dreamscape of adventures through time. In a style that resembles bedtime stories for grown ups this historical fiction spans over 500 years and is filled with wonderfully colorful characters you will fear, loath, admire and love. Remarkably, the story takes place all across America yet somehow never actually leaves the bathroom of the main character's house. The author has an impressively visual writing style that makes the story come to life as if you were watching it all happen before you. He takes the unbelievable and makes you a believer and will keeping you guessing up until the very twisted end. This book is a fun read that I would highly recommend to any reader with an adventurous mind. Most appropriately this book is to be released just in time for June. Happily, I was able to read an advanced copy through the First Reads program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Centuries of June.

Quotes Jules Liked

Keith Donohue
“The bed in which we spend a third of our lives functions as a kind of protective haven for the true self, the subconscious refuge from the assault of the external world. The bed becomes the restorative womb, where the imagination is nurtured while our resting bodies are safe.”
Keith Donohue, Centuries of June