Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > My Name Is Memory

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

Mar 22, 2011

I picked this book up at the library earlier today because I didn't have anything to read while I worked out. I just finished it a few minutes ago. Needless to say, I enjoyed it - I really wasn't planning on reading the whole thing today, but I found that I really didn't want to put it down. The story follows a man named Daniel who has lived multiple lives over a period of 1500 years and is in love with the same woman throughout his many lives. He remembers all of his lives, but she does not and he must find her and win her over repeatedly. The present-day story of Daniel and Lucy (as she is currently named) is interwoven with their often painful history throughout the centuries.

The story was engaging from the very beginning - in the very first chapter, the relationship between Lucy and Daniel is already established. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't talk further about the plot. But, suffice it to say, it kept me interested. The only reason I give it four stars instead of five is because there were a few points in the book where I felt the characters were making stupid choices just so that we could be kept in suspense for longer and because the ending left me hanging a bit (perhaps a sequel is coming?). Overall, though, I really enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Memory.