Amanda's Reviews > Best Friends with Benefits

Best Friends with Benefits by Candy Sloane

liked it
bookshelves: 2016, 3-5-stars, friends-to-lovers, rockers, arc-review-completed

Best Friends With Benefits is a friends to lovers story set during their 10 year high school reunion. This story had one of my favorite premises unpopular kids who make something of themselves, and then attend their class reunion only to find boring, jealous former bullies. Toss in an unexpected hookup and it seems like the perfect story for me. Unfortunately this one just fell a little short for me.

Val and Alex were nerd kids in high school, but had both made a name for themselves in music. He is a famous rock star and she is playing for a major symphony. They were best friends in high school, but he always wanted more and she was too insecure to realize it. The kept in touch through texts, Skype and phone calls, but haven't seen each other in 10 years. It was a little unlikely that they could/would remain best friends but couldn't take any time out to visit the other. And then bam they meet for the reunion and sparks fly...

I couldn't connect with either Val or Alex for some reason. The plot had so much potential and the reunion parts were fun, but there was so little interaction with classmates and the actual events that it left me wanting more. I was also frustrated by their serious and constant lack of communication and the arbitrary rules they each proposed that were pretty much immediately discarded. Overall it was a fun sexy story that I would recommend for anyone wanting a quick and dirty friends to lovers story.

A review copy was provided by Entangled via Netgalley for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best Friends with Benefits.

February 25, 2016 – Shelved