Alana Melos's Reviews > Necromantic Encounter

Necromantic Encounter by Sakura von Sternberg

Feb 24, 2016

bookshelves: horror, horrorotica, wtf

Well.

I have to say it IS only for the strong of heart. This is a story which starts off terribly Victorian. The prose is Victorian. The way the narrator speaks is Victorian. I swear I could have been reading a book by one of the Bronte sisters. In the beginning. And then it takes a somewhat abrupt left turn, kind of like this:

Our protagonist is a self-professed "Bluebeard". He's killed his wives before, but he swears THIS time he won't! Reminds me of a certain someone from popular fiction.

So, then of course his independent wife annoys him, and well, he just has to take care of her. This is where the book took the left turn. It's like... this is the Tell-Tale heart if Poe wrote erotica. This is horror, pure and simple, mixed in with eroticism in a way that made me sit up and take notice. This is the true essence of horrorotica. You're not supposed to be turned on by it, but you are. My reaction reading it was like this:

I wasn't sure what kind of face to make! I was in turns horrified and electrified. The book promises thrills and chills, and it delivers. Holy. God. It delivers. I got goosebumps while reading it, and I was glued to each electronic page. I couldn't tear my eyes away. It didn't quite frighten me... but it was close enough. It wasn't just the horror aspect, but the attraction to the macabre which hit really close to home. I'm a horror fan, and I often take delight in other things people find gruesome and ghastly, so for me, this was like... an ultimate piece of writing. A... a... weird sort of self-reflection where I looked at the things I like and went, "Yeah... maybe this isn't quite normal. Or healthy." The obsession written here is feverish. I cannot stress enough that you leave feeling that you shouldn't have been aroused, but the only other option was to be scared.

Sakura writes it very much like it needed to be: as a Victorian novel gone horribly wrong. I had just finished reading Kanye West--Reanimator in which the author writes Kanye West into a Lovecraft story, written in the Lovecraftian style. This is a book that can be shelved right next to Lovecraft without missing a beat. The style is impeccable. The prose is clean (there was one error that I found, but I was so into it I skipped right past it and now I've forgotten where it was!). The story is ghoulish and gruesome, but incredibly sexy at the same time. It's a work of art. It's the meshing of two things that should not be mixed to make a incredibly beautiful piece of art.

Art. This is art. It takes skill to write something like this, a skill which I admit I'm jealous of. Actually jealous. If you're into horror, you'll love it. If you're into erotica, you'll... find parts of this uncomfortably arousing. If you are into literature, you'll find it a fascinating read. The only complaint I have about this book is the cover. It just doesn't do it justice. I give it 10 out of 10 Bluebeards

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necromantic Encounter.

February 23, 2016 – Started Reading
February 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 24, 2016 – Shelved
February 24, 2016 – Shelved as: horror
February 24, 2016 – Shelved as: horrorotica
February 24, 2016 – Shelved as: wtf

Jack +Books & Bourbon+ Great review Alana! Now I gotta check this book out!

Alana Melos Jack +The Page Runner+ wrote: "Great review Alana! Now I gotta check this book out!"

I love Sakura's writing. I wish they'd written more. :)