Francine's Reviews > Elizabeth I

Elizabeth I by Margaret George

2851904
Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: historical, romance, sagas, royal

I count myself as one of the people lucky enough to receive an advance copy of Margaret George’s new novel Elizabeth I. I can honestly say that having read every one of Ms. George’s novels I had every expectation to thoroughly enjoy it and I was not disappointed. The author researches her subjects for months, even years, and writes a very factual novel but in a fascinating way. She writes in a story format so as to entertain while imparting a wonderful piece of historical data that doesn’t leave the reader feeling like they have just read a high school text book. I have always been a huge fan of Margaret George and continue to be so after reading this book. I hope she goes on to continue writing about the royalty of centuries ago because she is truly gifted.
She manages to show Elizabeth I in two lights, both believable. One being the conceited queen who struggles to maintain her power over England without the help of a husband by her side. We also see the queen who desperately wants to be loved by both her subjects and by Robert Dudley, a softer side that is rarely written about. The love she holds for her infamous mother, Anne Boleyn, is evident and she flaunts it in a quiet yet almost “in your face” way. I ended up admiring this woman who decided that she would rule England on her own in a time when women were thought to need a man for everything. She may even be one of the world’s first feminists. This is a wonderful novel that I shall gladly add to my ever-growing Royal collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth I.

03/23/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine I also have read everything she's written and am so excited to get to this one! How on earth did you get an advance copy? Elizabeth I has always been a hero of mine. Isn't she amazing?

Francine Hi,
I was lucky enough to win an advance copy from LibraryThing.com. If you enjoyed Henry VIII written by the same author then you will love this. It is EXCELLENT!!!!