Michael's Reviews > Dark Entries

Dark Entries by Ian Rankin

2099671
Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novels, review

John Constantine, tempted by a fat wad of cash, agrees to troubleshoot the latest tv reality show, ratings phenomena 'Haunted Mansion'. Or so he's told. The contestants are isolated in a rambling mansion, filled with secret passages and tricked up fake paranormal effects. So far the show has wowed the viewers with a slew of strange happenings. The only problem is... none of the fake spooks and tricks have been triggered so far. So what are the contestants reacting too?
Lots of writers have written Constantine, some good, some pretty dire, but main stream crime writer Ian Rankin really does get the character pretty much pitch perfect. He turns in a good story too, well suited to the style of Constantine. Reality shows and a celebrity obsessed media are easy targets for satire and Rankin pulls no punches, some subtle but mostly ... not so much. Werther Dell'edera's art fits the bill nicely too. Its simplistic composition and spare lines are raw on the eye but bang on the money for projecting the emotional tone of the piece. This is a quick read, despite its 200 plus pages. It's one of those pocket sized graphic novels Vertigo likes putting out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Entries.

message 1: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed I have wondered alot about this GN if its any good to long time Hellblazer,Constantine fans like me.

Michael I was curious to see what Rankin did with Constantine myself. I suppose it wasn't too much of a leap for him from Rebus. There's no real continuity from the Hellblazer series though. It refers to a previous case featuring Sawney Bean (the Scottish Canibal), though to my knowledge it doesn't reference any Hellblazer story. Think if you like early Constantine from Moore or Delano you will probably like this.

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday i love john constantine.