C.G. Drews's Reviews > Captive Prince

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

bookshelves: adult, epic-fantasy, read-2017

Little flummoxed by this one. It's an epic fantasy but focuses more on sexual slavery than any sort of active plot. I don't feel the sexual slavery/rape culture was promoted as "good or acceptable" but just underlining the depraved society, buuuuuut. Mine eyes are too young for this. Plus if your master orders you orally raped and then later slave + master start having a thing...let us just say: no.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Prince.

February 24, 2016 – Shelved
February 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2017 – Started Reading
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: adult
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
January 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Ember I found this book on a YA LGBT List ... read it and was so disgusted it's been the object of my bookish ranting for almost a full calendar year.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Ember I can't even really get started on the fact it was on a YA list to begin with.

message 3: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Omg it should definitely NOT be on a YA list!! It's completely adult?!? Even the characters are adult. 0_0 I do not blame the rants.

message 4: by Dimitri (new)

Dimitri bad start of the reading year :-(

Finn Longman This is one of those books where you really, really need to know what you're getting yourself into before you start. (For example, I'd heard enough about it to be expecting WORSE, which made it comparatively palatable.)

message 6: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson I've heard the rest of the series is better (mostly because less rape, at least in the protagonists' case because they kindasorta fall in love or something idk) but I think I'm with you on this one Cait. Too much squick. Nopetynope.

Let's go find something fluffy and fun instead. How about some Pratchett? Do you like Pratchett? Pratchett makes everything better for me, anyway.

message 7: by brittany (new)

brittany ugh thank u the existence of this series makes me cringe and it's super popular so i constantly see ppl reccing it

Maxwell // Well-Read Rebel Ew. I am so glad I didn't (and WON'T BE) picking this up.

message 9: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Dimitri: I know right?!? I see to be picking up terrible books haha.

@Miriam: Ah, yesss it would've been better to know. XD I also remember seeing it on someone's TTT list a while back and they only said it was a great fantasy novel and I was like "oh yeah that's cool" and then BOOM it was at the library. I was very doomed. Although I feel like the beginning was actually worse than the end? The end almost felt like it was getting a plot...

message 10: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Charley: Haaaaah, yes Pratchett is great. ALTHOUGH I AM SHAME...and have only read like 2 books by him. (Hey there's a lot! I'm intimidated! I love Good Omens though. <3) I'm not really sure I'll read on with this series, even though the end of Captive Prince actually kind of was getting towards and interesting plot. But if the protagonist falls in love with a prince who ordered him raped??? Absolutely not.

@Brittany: I know right?! I see people recommending it all the time too....but kind of leaving out the detail that it's about rape.

@Sydney: WISE CHOICE.

message 11: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Cait: you made the MUCH WISER DECISION.

message 12: by H.S.J. (new)

H.S.J. Williams OH THANK GOODNESS.

I just recently started to follow you and was utterly dismayed by this reading choice. Lol, so glad you recognize it as a vile piece of literature. *shakes your hand*

message 13: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Your review sounds a lot like the protagonist had a Stockholm Syndrome. But it also sounds like the point was to mix 50 Shades of Grey with LGBT elements. If I ever were interested in touching this book, now I'm definitely not. Thanks for saving my time!

message 14: by Nanly (new)

Nanly Oh man, I was really looking forward to this book, but now I don't think I want to pick it up anymore. I have a very low tolerance for reading books about toxic and abusive relationships, especially when they belong to the OTPs I'm supposed to be rooting for... I just can't do it. Too problematic.

Thanks for the heads up; I'm going to avoid this book now.

message 15: by ClaireEva (new)

ClaireEva Ah this is as actually one I was considering but definitely not now. Thanks for the recommendations as always!

Angela C I admit I'm bummed to hear you weren't a fan of Captive Prince. The second and third books in the trilogy are a million times better, with much stronger plotting and fantastic character development/growth. A lot of stuff from the first book that seemed weird and gratuitous gets turned on its head by the end of the series, and everything eventually comes together and makes "sense," so to speak. That said, I definitely get the points you're making in your review; I just thought I'd mention that a lot changes (for the better!) by the end of the trilogy. :-)

message 17: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Angela: I don't know if I could overlook or forgive someone having someone else raped for amusement and then shipping them as a couple though. :/

message 18: by Johanna (new)

Johanna I haven't read this book and very likely won't ... for exactly the reasons you mentioned above! (I've read and watched some reviews before I decided not to read it) It totally baffles me, that so many people seem to love this series so much! Slavery, Torture, rape ... I don't know, I really really don't like that standing between a couple I'm supposed to ship.

message 19: by MoonstoneOwl (last edited Apr 28, 2017 10:26PM) (new)

MoonstoneOwl Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Angela: I don't know if I could overlook or forgive someone having someone else raped for amusement and then shipping them as a couple though. :/"

That is the deal breaker for me too.

Just imagine an M/F series where the male love interest rapes the girl in the first book but redeems himself by the third book and realizes the errors of his ways and his society. Yeah, no. The GR community would trash that series until the end of time.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather THIS sentence, "the protagonist has a soft spot for his abusive master because the master has blonde hair and the protagonist is attracted to that", made your review one of the greatest ones ever! I loved it. Won't be reading the book now. ;)

message 21: by Luca (new) - added it

Luca i wholeheartedly agree with everything you say here.

it makes me furious that so many people idolise this book. like, write two sexy characters, add a bit of LGBT element (because some people do fetishise that) and rape will be overlooked, along with pedophilia and child abuse. 😡