Arthur's Reviews > Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned

Don't Know Much About the Bible by Kenneth C. Davis

M 50x66
Feb 16, 2008

bookshelves: religion, history
Recommended for: Christians, Jews, atheists, English majors, etc.

I've read several of the books from this series, and this was probably my favorite. Davis is a very entertaining writer, and he presents information in a way that makes it interesting even to someone who has never really wondered about the particular ideas he's writing about. The book, like all of Davis's books, is patterned in a question and answer format. He poses a question, such as "Where did Cain's wife come from?" or "How does God feel about cross-dressing?", and then he tries his best to answer the question and leave his readers more informed than before they picked up the book. This book is neutral about the Bible; that is, he doesn't say the bible is BS, nor does he try to prove that the Bible is the inspired word of God. He works into the book a brief summary of modern Biblical criticism, and some of the points he raises may challenge the beliefs of some readers. However, he is not hostile to the beliefs of his readers, and he allows readers to form their own judgment. (However, readers who believe the Bible is inerrant will not find Davis's views very friendly.) In the afterword, he asks, "Do people believe because we are spiritual suckers...? Or do we believe because believing is a valid choice?" One of the great things about this book is that Davis provides a lot of information to allow people to understand the Bible better, but he never tries to tell us whether or not we should believe in it. I highly recommend this book to anyone who just doesn't have the patience to get through the Bible, or wants to know what the heck Biblical scholars are doing these days, or just wants to know more about the most influential text in the history of Western civilization. But bring your sense of humor, and try not to be offended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Know Much About the Bible.