orangerful's Reviews > Scythe

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Feb 20, 2017

bookshelves: youngadult, ya_with_adult_appeal, sci-fi, series, favorite_author, dystopia

I loved this book, it's my favorite kind of science fiction - taking something to an extreme and playing out the consequences. In this case, we have The Cloud becoming the all knowing Thunderhead and science conquering death.

What I really liked about this book was that there were so many plot lines that could have been dragged out but instead were wrapped up by the end, leaving us with new options for book 2. There were plenty of loose ends but nothing so frustrating as to make you feel like you are being strung along as a reader. So if you are sick of series, fear not, you can read 'Scythe' and enjoy it.

I'm surprised this is a series because I think this first book wraps things up relatively well - but I said the same thing about 'Unwind' and that turned into an amazing series. So I will definitely pick up the second book when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scythe.

February 23, 2016 – Shelved
February 23, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 31, 2017 – Started Reading
January 31, 2017 –
page 49
11.26% "Teens and mortality, a theme that Shusterman has explored before but I can already tell he is taking a new angle with this book. Only a few pages in and there are deep thoughts about death, dying, the needs of the many versus the one, empathy and how mortality defines us."
February 4, 2017 –
page 86
19.77% "The villains have finally appeared..."
February 18, 2017 –
page 280
64.37% "AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! THIS BOOK! EVERYONE READ IT I NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!"
February 19, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: youngadult
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: ya_with_adult_appeal
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: series
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite_author
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: dystopia

Angela I'll see if I can bump it up in the queue!