kolibri's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books

liked it
bookshelves: gilmore-girls, reviewed
Read in March, 2009

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Azar Nafisi is an Iranian professor for English literature but living in the US. The book is about her time in Iran during the Islamic revolution.

She has to give up her job at the university of Tehran and instead she decides to set up a literature course for selected female students. They all have in common that they love literature and like to discuss it. And that is what they do: those women discuss classics (which became forbidden in the meantime) under the light of their own situation. Women in Iran feel locked up under their veils, they are not allowed to fully express their femininity and that is why for independent young women it is much harder to live in this country than for men. Everywhere they want to reach out they only feel limits which they can not overcome.

I enjoyed reading about women's situation in Iran and feel the discrimination. I also liked the parts when literature was explained by Azar Nafisi. But she is a literary critic and sometimes I didn't get the perimeter of her ideas. It was even harder, because I didn't know all books which were mentioned nor (sometimes) another work by the author discussed. But please read the book if you are a literature fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.