James Trevino's Reviews > Tunnels

Tunnels by Roderick Gordon

This is the beginning of one of my favorite series of all time, but for some reason I never wrote a review for it. And I decided I really should because more people need to know about it.
I first heard of Tunnels in a newspaper (yes, really that long ago!) where it was deemed the 'The next Harry Potter' (and God knows we had a lot of those). Needless to say, they are nothing alike, except for the fact that they were discovered by the same editor.
Tunnels tells the story of Will Burrows, a boy with a passion for digging. That is what leads him to the discovery of an underground world under London and to a bunch of adventures. As a genre, I would say Tunnels is an adventure book by excellence. It reminded me a lot of Jules Verne's works, with a twist. A very dark twist. Tunnels is recommended for children apparently, but I think it is at the very least YA. It is violent and quite scary at times (and I am a Stephen King and John Saul reader so I should know).
And if we accept that it is YA, don't think that you know what it's like. I feel like the YA genre is plagued lately by awfully written love stories and love triangles. That is not the case here. Tunnels is edge of your seat suspenseful, gorgeously written and the ending is one of the biggest mind-f**cks I've ever seen (seriously, WTF??).
It is also the kind of book that I could recommend to everyone, no matter what age.
So yeah, please do yourself a favor and read it. JAMES OUT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tunnels.

February 23, 2016 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Zoeytron (new) - added it

Zoeytron That's good enough for me, James. Sold!