Holly's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Mar 21, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, world-war-ii
Read 2 times. Last read March 21, 2011 to March 26, 2011.

There are tons of great stories set during WWII. This is not one of them. It's not even much of a story, it just sort of meanders and then peters out. The main characters aren't much more than plot devices or symbols; in fact, the only people worth caring about are the mostly nameless refugees fleeing the Nazis, and the Londoners living through the Blitz. The sections of the book focusing on them are actually great. But if you want a book about a fascinating female character during the war, read Charlotte Grey. If you want a book about a small town affected by the war, read the Guernsey Literary Potato whatever book. If you want a book that focuses on the tragedy of the Holocaust, read Sarah's Key. If you want a book about nothing, read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.

Finished Reading (Audio CD Edition)
March 21, 2011 – Started Reading
March 21, 2011 – Shelved
March 26, 2011 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 26, 2011 – Shelved as: world-war-ii
March 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2015 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)

Alissa Thomson I completely agree with your review

Maureen Holly...great review

message 3: by Marcela (new)

Marcela +1. I did not/could not empathize with any of the 3 main female characters. The one person I connected with was Thomas.

Cindy Your review totally nailed it!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Great review! Loved Guernsey and Sarah's Key. Postmistress had potential but was so very slow.

Whitney Absolutely! There were some great aspects of this book. The London bombings really captivated me and the refugees on the trains. In the end though it sort of fizzled out. Nothing happened! She never did anything with her recordings, Iris barely had a purpose and I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Harry. Did the Germans kill him? Why? What happened to them after? Did he just end up dying of a heart attack. It was strange. Ended up pretty disappointed with this one.

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam I'm not sure why you didn't understand that Harry had a heart attack and died - it was pretty evident.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Gattis This book seemed to wander, with no real story. It is a quick read, so I don't feel I wasted too much time.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Holly, since you seem to know a lot about WWII fiction, perhaps you could help me: I have been searching for a WWII fiction that I read previously for the past three years. It's about a middle class English girl who marries into the upper crust society. Her husband is drafted and supposedly killed in action. She falls in love with another man, she finds out her husband is alive, he returns, heart break ensues. There is also a sub plot of her sister in law being abused by her supposed war hero husband. There are also some refugees that she takes in... Can't for the life of me remember the title and it's so irritating!! Any help?

Holly I'm sorry, I wish I did! I'll dig around a little, because it sounds really good!

Sherene I was going to spend a few minutes reviewing this book but after reading your's, it would just be redundant :)

Bettyjeanyoungyahoo.com I started this book but have only made it to page 17. Just can't finish it.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Thanks for the reviews! Started it and put it down, don't think I'll be picking it back up.

Mary Ellen Wish I'd read this review before I picked up the book! Just great! And re: Harry: true, it was obvious he died of a heart attack, but what WAS odd was that a German U-boat landed and....nothing happened. Perfect example of the author writing LEFT when she should have been writing RIGHT.

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Thomas I'm enjoyed the "Guernsey Potato whatever" book!

message 17: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Thomas Sarah's key good, too!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen On page 20..... this is just not happening, glad I came here to look at the reviews before going further in.

message 19: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Try: the bakers secret. Excellent ww2 small town France.

Nancy I felt the same way. Pretty disappointed.

message 21: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I gave up by page 26. Bored and confused. Not sure how this was a bestseller