Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Black Rain

Mar 21, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction, testosterone
Read in March, 2011

What do you get when you cram a book with clichéd plots? Black Rain. The book has rainforests, Mayan ruins, covert operations, mercenaries, time travel, gun fights, helicopter crashes, primitive native tribes, mysterious crystals, hieroglyphics, environmental consciousness, strange creatures, lions and tigers and bears, oh my! (okay, it doesn't have lions and tigers and bears. But hey, since it had everything else, why not throw in the lions and tigers and bears as well?). I guess the author couldn't decide whether he wanted to recreate Indiana Jones, Alien, or Jurassic Park, so he combined every story line he could think of and stuffed them all into Black Rain.

The book just tries too hard. The actions don't make sense. There is way too much going on, distractingly so. The characters are the typical, predictable bunch - the overweight cigarette smoking tech guy (hey, wasn't he in Jurassic Park?), the tough smart woman (only she isn't), the big bad brave black ops guy. The multiple action/science fiction story lines are overkill. What could have been a good read is just a very long book. Why have I been reading so many of these mindless thrillers lately? Uh, I don’t know. Keep hoping to find a good one, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Rain.