Carol Ann's Reviews > Victoria Four-Thirty

Victoria Four-Thirty by Cecil Roberts

Feb 22, 2016

bookshelves: favorites, 2016-extreme-book-nerd-challenge

I LOVED this book. It is a lovely, lovely story. Actually it's several lovely, well-written stories compiled in a very clever structure: Each chapter in Part I is about a passenger that will be boarding the 4:30pm train at London's Victoria Station and the chapters in Part II offer a glimpse of their lives upon reaching their destinations. Sometimes they cross paths with other passengers or people known by the other passengers, which I thought was a brilliant touch. Their stories are fascinating and run the spectrum from sheer happiness to utter despair, all wrapped up in secrets or obsessions or simply good natured intentions. The time period is not identified, but I imagine it to be set in the 1930's as the book was published in 1937. I was completely charmed by this book and cannot imagine why Cecil Roberts is not a more well-known author. I'm definitely going to be searching for and reading his other books. Thank you, Thomas (of The Readers and Hogglestock.com), for recommending it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victoria Four-Thirty.

February 22, 2016 – Shelved