Lucia's Reviews > Dark Age

Dark Age by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: sci-fi, bookshelves-owned, 5-stars-read, favorites

Red Rising Saga is unlike anything I have ever read and this fifth instalment only proves it. There is some gorydamn excellent writing craftmanship at play because Pierce Brown weaves multiple POVs in magical way that leaves you spellbound by this book and consumes all your waking thoughts. What other proof of greatness do you need than the fact that I read this 752-pages-long mammoth of a book inbetween taking care of hyperactive toddler in just couple of days? I may be sleep deprived but it has been worth it.

All of you military strategy and war battle fans rejoice, this book will give you your fill and then some. War is raging in Solar System and Pierce Brown's storytelling makes it all come alive on the pages of this book, never shying away from showing us its horrors and despairs.

Tone of this book, as title suggests, is a dark one. Pierce Brown takes his readers through roller coaster of emotions and as per usual spares us nothing. In my opinion, Dark Age is the most profound instalment of the saga to the date - the scale on which Pierce Brown plays his game is enormous and thought-out to the tiniest details to evoke all the feels from his readers. So prepare to expect the unexpected.

I am excited for and simultaneously dreading what is waiting for us in the next (final?) book.

PRE-REVIEW:

"Alea iacta est."

The die is cast and I am super excited to see how Pierce Brown is going to play this game!

Iron Gold felt like it was "only" a setup for bigger things to come and I truly cannot wait for this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Age.

February 22, 2016 – Shelved
February 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2016 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 30, 2019 – Started Reading
August 1, 2019 –
4.0% "Trust Pierce Brown to make me feel all sad and emotional in just two chapters."
August 5, 2019 –
15.0% "The dreadful feeling intensifies: this book is going to break me!"
August 6, 2019 –
36.0% "I'm LOVING Mustang's POV!"
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: bookshelves-owned
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-stars-read
August 7, 2019 – Finished Reading
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Excellent review—I’m making my way through —so well written

message 2: by Federico (new)

Federico DN Awesome!

Lucia Joy wrote: "Excellent review—I’m making my way through —so well written"

Thanks and enjoy the book :)

Lucia Federico wrote: "Awesome!"

Thanks :)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, Lucia! Glad you got a winner x

Keighley Lucia I am so glad this book didnt disappoint. Im 37% in and I am dying to discuss it, but also living in fear of spoilers. Thankfully one of my best friends is listening to audible around 5 hours behind me! It feels too soon to say, but i think this might be his best work yet. ALL the spoiler chats when I finish :D

Lucia Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, Lucia! Glad you got a winner x"

Thanks Alex, I am so happy that this book didnt disappoint me :)

Lucia Keighley wrote: "Lucia I am so glad this book didnt disappoint. Im 37% in and I am dying to discuss it, but also living in fear of spoilers. Thankfully one of my best friends is listening to audible around 5 hours ..."

Feel free to message me on facebook anytime you want, I promise not to spoil you at all :)

Raluca Im taking it slow because I find it hard to digest. Not the book itself but all the feelings. You're right... I can't fathom how Brown orchestrated and wrote and played all the action and characters in the book. I should like to have a month long discussion with him. I'm so dreading what's coming next in the book. Part of me is relieved to find out it' s an ooen ended book and requires a resolution, part of me doesn't know how much more it can take.

Lucia Raluca wrote: "Im taking it slow because I find it hard to digest. Not the book itself but all the feelings. You're right... I can't fathom how Brown orchestrated and wrote and played all the action and character..."

I think I will need to re-read in near future because I flew through this book, it was so addictive. But it is still on my mind, even though I finished it three days ago. I too, cannot fathom how Brown put it all together. when you finish and want to discuss feel free to message me :) I would love to discuss it with someone

Raluca @Lucia It will take some days more but definitely will message you as I too feel the need to discuss

message 12: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia De Leon Great review! I’ll have to check out this series. Been needing to have something new to be obsessed about! It’s a sickness, I fear 😅

Lucia Sonia wrote: "Great review! I’ll have to check out this series. Been needing to have something new to be obsessed about! It’s a sickness, I fear 😅"

@Sonia This series is perfect if you are looking for new obsession :) If you like sci-fi, perfectly crafted complex characters and fast paced epic story, go for it!

Katie So glad you enjoyed this, I reckon there will be lots of mixed reviews about this one but I loved loved it. I completely agree, this is the most profound instalment, a definite turning point for this series. I can’t get over it.

Lucia @Katie Same here, I still can't get over it even two weeks later. Feel free to message me if you want to talk, discuss or just rant about it :)

Brandon Merritt I'm a diehard Red Rising fan, I've read them all and absolutely loved Dark Ages. I'm curious what other series diehard Red Rising fans are into, I need my space wars fix!

Lucia Brandon wrote: "I'm a diehard Red Rising fan, I've read them all and absolutely loved Dark Ages. I'm curious what other series diehard Red Rising fans are into, I need my space wars fix!"

I had huge book hangover after finishing Dark Age so it was hard to find something to hold my attention. But now I am reading Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell and it awesome