Sonia Almeida Dias's Reviews > Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland

Trespassing Across America by Ken Ilgunas

bookshelves: travel-and-places, netgalley

Thanks to Netgalley and Blue Rider Press for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

While trespassing is not a foreign concept to me, the idea of not being able to walk across your own country is indeed a very strange notion. Over here in Portugal, and I believe the most of Europe, the countryside is out there for anyone who wishes to freely enjoy it. Since I was born I spent all my summers on my grandmother’s place in rural Portugal, and even though everyone had small patches of land, we could all walk freely through all of them, as long as we did not step on any of the crops, as that would make people mad.

This was a journey through North America to follow the path of a new oil pipe that will be/is being built, however it was also a journey into thought, into the heart of America, a reflection into what makes people have a specific set of beliefs that are so radically different than others, and sometimes so radically different than what they should be.

It’s no surprise that my views fall closer to the ones of the author. And it was refreshing to see that in some ways he did not let himself fall prey of his own judgement, and let himself enjoy the people he met, even when they were frankly against what he was doing and very outspoken about it.

Sometimes throughout the book we get a glimpse of despair, and that happens in my daily life as well, when I think we are so close to the edge, when no salvation for mankind will be possible. However, a ray of hope will emerge in the end, as it should be, as we cannot clearly predict the future, and we certainly cannot give up our efforts to make it better.

Someone asked me once: “what difference does it make if I’m here recycling a small water bottle when there are plans being made to start fracking on the Portuguese shore?” My answer will always be: every little bit helps, and not being able to stop one environmental danger does not give me green card to stop caring about what I do. My actions are my own to control, and up to my conscience.”

I have also the duty to be environmentally aware, and pass on the message, and that is the strength of books like this one and he hike that brought it to life.

Recommended to all of those who like travel reading, science and environment, a lust for life, but beware because you might stand up and walk, and never stop.

"When I think about our culture's addition to fossil fuel, its indifference to the natural world, and the sheer impossibility of any major change happening soon, I can't help but despair. Almost as depressing as an inevitable collapse is how powerless I feel as an individual."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trespassing Across America.

February 22, 2016 – Started Reading