Lobstergirl's Reviews > On the Beach

On the Beach by Nevil Shute

1910836

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: anyone wearing capri pants

Shute makes some interesting narrative choices which lessen the dramatic tension rather than increase it. Nearly everything that happens in the novel is telegraphed from the beginning. We know the radiation is headed south and will arrive in September. We are led to believe everyone, all the characters Shute creates and everyone else living on earth, will die, (view spoiler). The only real tension comes on the Scorpion's journey to Seattle: what's going on with those Morse code signals being received in the southern hemisphere? (view spoiler) Then at the end, intriguingly, (view spoiler)

A world that humans, knowingly, kill off. What could be more relevant today? In Shute's novel the great powers, along with some smaller ones, bomb each other into oblivion. It's all over in a matter of months. Half of the globe is dead and the other half knows its fate. In our case, it will probably take a few centuries to kill ourselves off with the warming part of climate change. But we seem just as determined to do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Beach.

February 21, 2016 – Started Reading